Official buying advice thread

I'm looking into getting a vocal microphone. Looking for something inexpensive, but decent enough to not put me off using it. I've been looking at the SM58 as that seems to be the standard, but I figured I'd ask just in case anyone knows better.

I wanna get either an Alexi Signautre guitar :D

Its either the ESP-Alexi-Scythe or the ESP-Alexi-Blacky!

Heres a link to see them:
http://onlybestguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mh-1000_stb3-300x233.jpg

There are also the LTD's which are much cheaper...

Also, i heard that Alexi also has other signature guitars like a Hatebreeder one, a Sawtooth, etc. So give me advice on which Alexi Signature guitars you like!

ask in the guitarplayers thread, buttttt we just had a huge debate over it so idk if it should be brought up again :lol:

i have the alexi-600 its a great axe, look up edwards guitars, its a sub comapny of esp just like ltd and the quality is better than ltd and they have really cool alexi models

Buying advice, eh?

I'm a keyboardist and my amp has recently started to REALLY crap out on me. I play a Korg TR-88 as my main keyboard, so I need an amp that can handle it alone for practice AND take my mixer input when my full rig is assembled. If it can go loud enough to compete with everything else while in concert, that would help. Stereo Input is a must.

I'm looking at the Motion Sound KM12 right now. What else should I consider? My price range is around $500. Do NOT tell me to get a Roland KC. That is what I have now, and I've never liked the sound.

ok so heres what i want to do. i want to get an ibanez weeping demon wah and a morley power boost wah and on top of that i want to get an elctro-harmonix bass big muff.

It's finally happening.

I'm finally going to be getting a guitar!

I've been anticipating that for a while, but now that it's finally here, I've got to admit, there are so many choices, I don't know what to do!

I want to make sure, that, when I go to guitar center in the next week or so, I've got a list of guitars that I have looked at, read reviews of, so on and so forth.

Obviously I'm not expecting my playing skills to be good until I'm a few years in, but if I want to eventually play Kalmah/Mors Principium Est style Melodeath, and want a guitar that can last for a long time, what are some good options? I don't have an infinite budget--I'd say the entire package, guitar, amps, pickups, so on and so forth, can only be in the $300-$400 dollar range.

What would be some good options for amps and guitars? That way, when I go into the store, I've got a general sense of what I should be looking for.

Thanks so much!

\I'm building my own 2x12 cabinet with my dad, based on the Marshall 2x12 I borrowed from my guitarist. The plan is to use some sort of high-density particle board my dad suggested that's apparently used in other speakers. Anyhow, I need some recommendations for what sort of speakers I should put in here. I typically tune to D standard and my ideal guitar sound is thick and heavy, distorted but not wildly so. I want to keep this as inexpensive as possible, but if the money will make a big difference I'd be willing to shell out. If there's any other information that would be useful just let me know. Thanks for the help.

Don't build it out of particle board. I'm pretty sure you should build it with higher quality birch ply.

As for speakers, go to musiciansfriend.com and check out all of the Eminence Patriot's and Redcoat's. They suggest best styles of music for each speaker and give you sound charts to compare the speakers.

Getting a new amp!

My budget is at ~850$. I want a combo amp that sounds good at bedroom volume.

I play a lot The Faceless, Veil Of Maya and Born of Osiris stuff. Lots of sweeping.

What do you suggest!

Thanks mates.

is it at all possible to afford a decent death metal vocalist microphone and an amp or whatever it plugs into for $100?

I have a $100 guitar center gift card and want to buy a mic but don't own an amp or anything, either.

What are some options for me, both for the amp and for the microphone?

Getting a new amp!

My budget is at ~850$. I want a combo amp that sounds good at bedroom volume.

I play a lot The Faceless, Veil Of Maya and Born of Osiris stuff. Lots of sweeping.

What do you suggest!

Thanks mates.

Do you need for this amp to also be able to get loud enough for shows and band practices? Or do you just want a great sounding bedroom amp?

is it at all possible to afford a decent death metal vocalist microphone and an amp or whatever it plugs into for $100?

I have a $100 guitar center gift card and want to buy a mic but don't own an amp or anything, either.

What are some options for me, both for the amp and for the microphone?

That's only enough for 1 nice microphone. Are you in a band that has a spare amp lying around? If so, you could get a mic, cable, and microphone-to-1/4 inch jack converter. Otherwise, you could save up an extra $200 and get a powered monitor and a mic.

Hi, I'm new at this forum and a novice guitar player.

I am now in the market for a better guitar and amplifier than the ones I have now. I will probably won't get another guitar or amp in many years, and will use it only in my garage.
My budget is $1000-$1200.
The guitar I like is the BC Rich Mockingbird Special X, which is $599. I will like to, in the future, install EMG's 81 & 85 on it.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...cial-X-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar?sku=584453

With this I am left with $400-$600 for the amp.

The music I want to play is early Metallica stuff for starters.

I've read that the Blackstar HT-5 is good,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...H-and-HT110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack?sku=489746

And also Krank, although a bit too pricey for me,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-Standard-Half-Stack-BlackBlack?sku=501204

What do you guys think I should get?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all

I'm going to be looking at buying an electric 6 stringer in about 3 - 4 months.

I live in Australia and I"d say my budget will be around $1000 Aussie max.

I know the brand I want is an ESP, simply because the ones I have heard in store sound awesome!

I'm playing again after a 12 year hiatus due to traveling overseas lots, and around the country. I used to play a lot of thrash n' Pantera style stuff from age 12-18 years old (when I stopped) in various cover bands.

No I am moreinto black/death stuff as well as the thrash n' even some power metal,

I"m not interested in a particular amp yet as I"m living in an inner city apartment block and most my playing will be done with headphones on, end of 2011 when my house is built I'll look into a proper amp set up.

What should I look at in the ESP range?

I know they have cheap starter kits with like the Viper-10 n' stuff but they go for like $450-700AUS can if for a coupla hundred more I can get a more quality model I'd like to.

Opinions would be great thanks :)

lookin at an ibanez rg2228 and a vetta 2... what do you think? good idea/bad idea? i like the digital amp sound. 8 strings would be great... i was so sick of re tuning my guitar when i wanted to play something other. i rekon it would really make me change the way i approach guitar. all those sounds from one amp. id be spending half the price of them amp on pedals alone and that would only be for a few pedals.

anyone got either of these? ive read quite afew reviews for the vetta and they were mixed... either great amp or shit amp. ive only heard on bad thing about the ibanez, that a .70 string dosnt fit through the tuning peg hole.

gonna set up a little home studio too... laptop and DI box. any suggestions?

To be honest, never been a fan of 8 string guitars or digital amps. What did you intend to use the Vetta 2 for, gigging? or just mucking around?

I'm guessing if you wanted to just play in the bedroom you'll be fine with that, but I'd rather spend a decent sum of money getting a used 5150/6505 or mkII if you were to be gigging. The gain from these amps are fucking amazing, and is pretty much the benchmark for most metal bands that you'd probably listen to. And if you really want those extra options for effects, get a podXT live, TC electronics G system or even a Boss GT8/10 and use the 4 cable technique through the front end and FX loop of your amp.

If you've got the cash to spare for an audio interface, have a look at these:
http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Audio-MIDI-Interfaces

Maybe even just download Reaper (fucking awesome recording software), mic up your cabs/speakers through a a cheap Presonus audio interface and play through. But honestly, if you wanted better advice I suggest going into the Andy Sneap forum at the bottom of the main forum page and reading the posts there. The people there are extremely helpful and full of knowledge.

Im just getting back into guitar. im a little rusty(havent played in 3-4 years) and dont have anyone to play with at the mo(i moved here about a year ago). so id be playing in my bedroom to start with, and aim to get out and gig/record.

I was under the impression that the vetta 2 was a good amp for live playing, and just a good amp in general(?)

you mean peavys?

i dont think you would have heard of some of the bands i listen to. i could be wrong.

im after an eight string for the range, not cause meshuggah and dino cazarez play them. as much as i like them, amongst other bands, id be playing my own stuff.

i used to detune my 6 to B and then back again. it was tedious. and i found myself thinking 'gee and extra string or two would go astray' i do lots of clean appregios. and was working on lots of high/low combos that standard or detuned couldnt do.

i dont really have the money to spare, was originally looking at the rga8 (cause its half the price) and some pedals (boss me 50, guitar synth, loop station, whammy pedal...)im looking at value for money

i'll have a look in that forum. thanks.