Official buying advice thread

I had a nifty idea the other day. The Lace Alumitone humbucker that I have in the neck position is thinner than the majority of pickups and doesn't come up as high off the body as it needs to, so I'm thinking of putting a small block of wood in my pickup cavity (and another under my bridge pickup when I replace that one). This idea was inspired by Ernie Ball's whole tone block idea that's incorporated in their newer models Stingrays.

Would you guys recommend that I stick with mahogany, as that's what most of my bass is made of, or would it be alright to fill the space with some bubinga or walnut?

And any ideas as to where I can order like a square foot of the stuff?

well, what do you want to do with your tone? i'm fairly skeptical it will make a huge change. i'd stick a block on wenge to make it less bright, but thats just me hehehe

as for where to get it, the mountan man store in manitou has carving blocks of various types. im sure they have mahogany and i would be they have a piece the size you need. also some hobby lobby stores have a section for wood. the right store WILL have what youre looking for. although i dont know where the closest one is with a wood section
~gR~

Hey guys, im a long time listener and a beginner playing, Ive started practising on an acoustic but I want to get an electric guitar real soon.

The sounds I like are fast and thrashy, I love melodic death metal too. Some bands I enjoy that have inspired the type of sound I want are the likes of:

God Forbid
Devildriver
Dreamevil
Five Finger Death Punch
American Head Charge
Demon Hunter
Murderdolls

A friend recommended ESP guitars to me as he said that they are capable of a fast thrashy metal sound. What is your opinion guys? Thanks.

I listen to shitty faggot-ass popular sellout music and I hear ESP makes good guitars.

Get an Ibanez RG if you like 6-strings and you're willing to dish out a bit of money. They make for great lead guitars.

If you want something that looks cool and you don't care about sound just get a BC Rich Warlock or Beast. That's what most idiots seem to do these days.

I'd also recommend Edwards, the Japanese line of ESP's. Much better quality control on those instruments.

im gonna start the infinite ibanez debate...

S series > RG series

ps: american head charge was pretty bangin...

~gR~

Last edited by a moderator:
i know hehehe. but seriously, ibanez S series is great. if i needed another 6 string, i would buy that
~gR~

hey, i have been looking at getting a new guitar, most likely a V shape and have been looking mainly at these 2

jackson RR3
2913000833_md.png

LTD Alexi 200
Alexi-200_BLK.jpg