Official buying advice thread

Hey guys - currently looking at getting an electronic kit, budgeting around $1500. I'm looking at getting either of these...

Legacy DD508 - $1199

OR

Alesis DM10 - $999

I'm really just looking for something to play on while I save for my acoustic (a Tama Superstar for those interested... planning on getting all new symbols, hardware, the lot, so that's gonna be a while before I get that)... I'm looking to record into Pro Tools through midi as well as I can much more easily play my beats than program them... I've already bought my Midi interface and stuff.

If you guys have any reccomendations for me I'd love to hear them... in terms of both technical capability and your experience with similar kits. I AM looking for a 4-cymbal (inc. hi-hat), 4-tom kit though.

Thanks in advance!

I own a Digitech just like that and it works fine for so many things. You can bypass the amp sim or anything else by turning a few knobs. Full bypass is possible and with a good amp I usually use on of the distortion pedal models along with gentle EQ.

I think I'm pretty much set on either an LTD M-1000 or MH-1000 (both with Floyd Rose). They seem to be some of the only guitars in the price range with a good build quality, fast neck, quality Floyd Rose and nice pickups (doesn't have to be EMG but I don't mind them). I'm trying to decide between the two - from what I understand the M-1000 is a slightly smaller and faster guitar with a brighter tone, while the MH-1000 is a bit heavier and darker due to its mahogany body. I have had the chance to try out similar guitars (both lower end models) but not these exact ones.

A few things:

I hate Ibanez. Every metal-oriented Ibanez I have heard sounds shitty for anything other than lead stuff. Their rhythm tone is always very boxy and flat to my ears, no depth or bite to it. If there is an exception, I wouldn't mind knowing, but I just don't get the sense they are suited to what I play.

I considered Jackson due to their excellent playability. However, I've also heard of poor quality control and I'm just not sure I like them quite as much as far as looks go. BC Rich, Dean and other brands I have never particularly liked the feel or look of - just too flamboyant for my tastes.

I play death metal, primarily (not shreddy tech-death stuff, just traditional death metal). I need something with fast and easy action, and that can accommodate low tunings properly. Again, ESP/LTD seemed to fit the bill more than other guitars I tried and researched (Schecter also seemed promising until I learned they were mostly just cheaper LTDs).

So with those in mind, which of those two guitars is best suited to me? And are there any others I should be on the lookout for?

Verily, for these axes of ye Orient, LTD M-1000 and MH-1000 be'ith both elegant, finely crafted weapons. This knight's own preference woulde be'ith for ye MH-1000 as it's construction 'tis of fine mahogany - a most prized tonewood in mine sonic arsenal!

Thee may want to consider these 2 additional axes, as they art well-suited for ye task of delivering unholy torrents of METAL, which thou shall unleash'eth upon timid, innocent ears:
PRS Torero
prs_se_torero.jpg

Charvel Desolation Soloist
2931311590-2.jpg

Both of these Axes art forged of mahogany, through-neck construction, sport ye EMGs, lord Floyd Rose's bridge, and feature'th ye stratocaster shape of ye ESPs that hath caught thine eye!

This post now concludeth!

Hey guys, I could really use some advice on buying a new bass head. I play metal in the style of August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, War of Ages, etc. My budget is $300. I already have an 8 ohm cab, and I'm having trouble finding a head that will match it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey Guys,

I have a Genz Benz El Diablo 100w with the GFlex Cab, but I found a guy in South Africa who has a Hughes and Kettner Switchblad 100w, and he wants to sell his amp or swap for another amp or guitars.

SO I'm considering swapping my Genz Benz for the Hughes and Kettner, but I know nothing about Hughes and Kettner. Any thoughts?

Cheers

I totally agree with all everyones said about the fender guitar. If you want to play metal you can get just as good a guitar from Jackson, Schecter or I banez. I have 2 jacksons and they both sound awesome with stock pickups as well as the Schecters. I play locally and these guitars are perfectly awesome. I am currently using a Blackstar amp and its way more than I need but I like it... If you have any questions I'll try to help you...