Need help with emg85...

Dellinger

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2005
Sweden
Hi!

I just bought a used emg85 and installed it in my schecter c1 (bridge), i did the 18v mod and the only pot used is a 25k - for volume, (no tone pot, no switch... ) and i have cut the old grounding cable to the bridge.
I left the neck pickup in there, but its not connected.
I have done everything according to the emg-diagram for 1 volume pot and 1 pickup, but there is a loud humming in the background when im plugged in, humming stops when i touch the tele-plug and gets worse when i touch the volume knob, and the volume doesnt raise or lower when i turn the volume knob, its just a constant humming sound, and the guitar sound/distortion seems very weak (sound almost like the 2 batterys are dead, but they are new).

What could be wrong? :ill:

Thanks in advance!! :headbang:

I just did my EMG 85 myself as well....although I didn't do the 18v mod it's one of 2 things. Your ground wire from the bridge is still grounding you somehow....the wire has to be cut "completely" or covered with tape, that's why when you touch the volume knob or hold the fretboard it stops. The lack of distortion or volume is obviously assuming the pickup is a "quickconnect" You may have connected it upside down, check your connection under the pickup itself...the little arrow must be facing you when it's connected. If none of these things help then sorry...I have no idea.

Ok, thanks guys for the answers, the thing is that i have cut the ground wire and isolated it with tape, so its not touching anything its completely isolated.
My pickup does not have quick connect, it think its an older version of the 85, there are just 2 wires = thin red one that goes to battery and the white one (with ground wire) that goes to the pot....
Im starting to think there is something wrong with my stereo output jack... :confused:

Have you checked all other connections??? Switch, jack, etc?? Maybe you hit something or partially disconnected something while working?? Try going over your connections. And did you make good solder connections?? No cold solders is what I mean...

-Joe

Try this: re-do it. Just start over again. Take everything out, re-solder, everything. Maybe you just missed something the first time. Good luck.

~006

Carrier Flux said:
headroom? dynamics? I thought this was a metal forum. ;)

Well, if you like solid state distortion from clipping your pickup's onboard preamps rather than the raging tube distortion you'll get from driving your amp's front end harder with a louder, cleaner signal, I guess that makes you more metal than I. :p :D

Fixed it now, there were something wrong with the output jack, changed it and now things are working great.
:headbang: