Need help with the video!

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I'm an amateur at this stuff, so I have run into some snags. I found a free dvd -mpeg recorder. It ripped the dvd nice and easy. The problem is that it ripped it to a dvd-quality mpeg. The seven minute song ended up being 135 MB. That's way too large for the server to handle, even zipped. There were no options for recording at a lower quaity setting (remember, this was free and easy).

Any ideas on what *free* program I can use to either downsize the existing mpeg or one that I could re-rip the dvd at lower setting?

Glenn H.

Glen,

If you can get in touch with MeTuLhEd, I believe he has a number of different options for you that could accomplish this task. I have no experience in this area myself, sorry.

Good luck,
Kez

Kez said:
Glen,

If you can get in touch with MeTuLhEd, I believe he has a number of different options for you that could accomplish this task.

I haven't been able to get him to call me back for the last few days. I'm at work so I don't have his personal email address with me or I would email him now.

Glenn H.

Another option is to use "Windows Movie Maker"...

Can import the mpeg and then create a new movie down to the MB size you want it and it'll convert it. Tried it with Edguy's "All the Clown" video and got it from 60 MB's to 5 and it actually still looks really good.

Only problem is it converts the movie to .wmv. But hey, its an option!

Nightmare1z said:
Another option is to use "Windows Movie Maker"...

Can import the mpeg and then create a new movie down to the MB size you want it and it'll convert it. Tried it with Edguy's "All the Clown" video and got it from 60 MB's to 5 and it actually still looks really good.

Only problem is it converts the movie to .wmv. But hey, its an option!

Actually, there is ONE option in Movie Maker that allows it to be saved as an AVI file...but that usually ends up being a big file (a one hour movie I made ended up being 13 gigs in avi format).
:Smokin:

Rakosh said:
Hey Glenn,

There's a freeware program out there which gets high marks from users called DVD Shrink.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

I haven't used it, but it sounds like what you might need. For the Wuthering Heights video I created I use a combination of 1Click DVD Ripper, WinAVI Video Converter, and Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows XP).

By the way, if anyone wants to see the video I made, email me at rakoshradio@yahoo.com, and I'll email a small 5meg version to ya. I don't have any way to post the larger (35meg) version, so the quality will be a little worse, but you'll get the idea. Lord of the Rings fans will get a kick out of it. LOL!

Sorry to jump in, but the mention of 'Wuthering Heights' and 'video' makes me curious... what is this video of which you speak? :D

deathfalls said:
Sorry to jump in, but the mention of 'Wuthering Heights' and 'video' makes me curious... what is this video of which you speak? :D

It's a little something I did for my own amusement :D . I took the song "Tree" and used footage from The Two Towers (mainly the Ents), and recut it to fit the song. First one I've done, so I'm by no means professional...but it kept me off the streets for an afternoon. :loco:

After some research, it looks like Virtual Dub might do what you want. It is free, and is the only free one I came across that looked useful. Let me know if you need more technical help, as video stuff is something I deal with on a regular basis...

dt

Virtual Dubsworks mainy on AVI and basic mpeg. It will not work with my rip (mpeg-2).

The plan is to re-rip it with DVD shrink tonight or Monday. If anyone finds something that can shrink a pre-existing mpeg, then I can have it done this afternoon and up on the site.

If you use Windows Movie maker (which if you have XP you should have, if not then here ) then just import the video to the collection, then drag it down to the timeline in the bottom, then go to file> save movie and it gives you a whole bunch of ways to encode it smaller (by size, by codec, etc.) that seems to be the easiest way to an amateur.

Good luck

EDIT: me being the lazy ass, i didn't notice someone posted the exact same post above...

Harvester said:
Deron's computer keeps stalling out when using movie maker. We think the file is too big (135 MB) for it to handle. No clue though...

Odd...I've been able to use 250+ MB clips when importing. It does take a long time to churn all the data sometimes.

I saw this and thought I should register and help you out, this is going to be a bit lengthy.

http://www.doom9.org/ will walk you through the basics, just click on their guides section and go for the first option(MPEG4). You definitly want to use Xvid, which is generally considered the best MPEG4 codec currently available, and is free to boot, actually, everything I mention is free. From there it depends on how in depth you want to get.

Since you're just beginning, and probably don't care much about the ins and outs of encoding, go for the Auto Gordian Knot option. You will be able to specify the target size for your file, which will determine quality. Autogk is, as the name implies, totally automated, so it should be pretty easy to deal with. Voila, from DVD, to high quality encode.

-----------
If you want to use what you've already done, you could recompress it I guess, instead of DVD input in autogk, select file input, and specify your target file size. Obviously the quality of compressing something already compressed will be less than ideal, but if you're going for small size, it won't be noticable.

This is probably your best/easiest route.

-----------
If you're looking to cut a certain portion out of your DVD and only want that portion as your result(and it sounds like you are), you've got 2 options: You'll need to add a few steps to the encoding process, which is much more complicated, and much longer(I don't mind going through it though), or you can go with the autogk method above, and crop the result, which is easy to do in virtualdub mod.