Need help with this guitar tone (5150 Deathcore)

Jul 31, 2010
Okay so i just started mixing this early this mourning, and i have been doing reamp after reamp and i seem to hate this tone no matter what im doing, idk if its just because im burned out on the song or maybe i just need to EQ it different, but no matter what i have done i just cant figure out whats making it sound like this.

The tone there wanting is sorta like the acacia string off worm wood or he the deceivers tone.

settings on the amp were.

gain 4
lows 8.5
mids 3
highs 6
res 7
pres 6 or 7 can not remember. i have changed it since this track.

(PS) your going to have to turn your monitors up a fair amount.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13978357/family idk guitar tone.wav

they should i just tried them the tracks a wav because my converter is fucking up right now, so they will take a little while to loud, just wait and see if they do and if they do not let me know.

ok it worked it just took a while. idk man, it sounds pretty killer to me. is it me or is the overall mix pretty quiet? either way the tone is beast i dig it.

Ditto on quiet. Drums are a bit weak, maybe too compressed, the snare flat and the kick hard to discern. Guitar tone's not as bad as you seem to think. I'd remix the drums before the guitars.

ok it worked it just took a while. idk man, it sounds pretty killer to me. is it me or is the overall mix pretty quiet? either way the tone is beast i dig it.

ohh yeah man its deff not going to get loud or anything right now its unmixed and unmastered, i just feel the tone sounds dull, it might just be me im not sure.
flat is another word for how i think it sounds, and idk whats up.

im going to fuck with it more through out the day and see if i can get something im happier with, ill post something up once im satisfied with it.

like i said this is unmixed and unmastered, im just not all that happy with the guitar tone, so im trying to get something im happy with before i start mixing everything else.

^^^ I always have my mix at least 60% of where I know it'll be and all my 2BUSS processing in place before I totally decide on a FINAL GTR tone... there are TOO MANY variables to consider when trying to decide if a tone fits or not when the thing isn't even mixed yet.

it might sound SIQ when everything else is raw but when you start mixing shit in you'll a lot of the times ask yourself 'what happened to my SIQ gtr tone?'.

like other said, i'd work on the mix first and tweak the tone as you go... just get something down as a general, or fairly close place holder!

^^^ I always have my mix at least 60% of where I know it'll be and all my 2BUSS processing in place before I totally decide on a FINAL GTR tone... there are TOO MANY variables to consider when trying to decide if a tone fits or not when the thing isn't even mixed yet.

it might sound SIQ when everything else is raw but when you start mixing shit in you'll a lot of the times ask yourself 'what happened to my SIQ gtr tone?'.

like other said, i'd work on the mix first and tweak the tone as you go... just get something down as a general, or fairly close place holder!

well if thats happens i have about 25 different reamps to choice from haha :p
i agree thats happened a couple times, but not very often, that tone just sounds flat as hell, no way thats going to sound good, no matter what i do to the drums bass and everything else, the guitar would always bother me because they sound dull as hell.

thats just me tho, but like i said after i fix everything else if it does not sound good i have tones of reamps to try out in it.

ohh yeah man its deff not going to get loud or anything right now its unmixed and unmastered, i just feel the tone sounds dull, it might just be me im not sure.
flat is another word for how i think it sounds, and idk whats up.

im going to fuck with it more through out the day and see if i can get something im happier with, ill post something up once im satisfied with it.

I listened again, still love this tone. Maybe a slight boost between 2k-2.5k, for more bite? but when the volume comes up that added bite may become harsh it's hard to tell. anyways, definitely post an updated mix when you're happy with it!

I listened again, still love this tone. Maybe a slight boost between 2k-2.5k, for more bite? but when the volume comes up that added bite may become harsh it's hard to tell. anyways, definitely post an updated mix when you're happy with it!

yeah i actually just hit the tone i was going for, ill post the mix when its mastered and have vocals effects and everything in it, ill probably post it on a new thread because idk when ill have it done.

i have to post the highs and pres on the head more then i would ever to get the tone i normally get with my guitars, idk if it might just have to do with the guitar they tracked with or something, put there guitar sounded pretty dark whenever i was monitoring it in pod farm.

This sounds pretty killer to me! Like Thrice said, toy around with the higher areas (i'd turn 5-7K up a bit as well)

did you attenuate the signal at all before the amp? Any pedals or anything? I didn't listen to the track b/c I don't have place for a 60mb .wav file on my desktop but I can tell you from my experience with the 5150 heads and that drop tuned djenty tone is that you won't get anywhere close with the gain set to 4 without a tubescreamer or something of the sort in front of it. I'm sure you're already well aware of scale length and string gauge playing a huge factor in getting a thick dropped tone... Like I said I haven't heard it yet but if its like worwood (F# natural) you need a ts-9 and quite possibly a cs-3 or something in your fx loop of the head, atleast it worked for me. Getting a dinstinct guitar tone when you're playing that low is no easy task. Also the cab you use is equally as important.

did you attenuate the signal at all before the amp? Any pedals or anything? I didn't listen to the track b/c I don't have place for a 60mb .wav file on my desktop but I can tell you from my experience with the 5150 heads and that drop tuned djenty tone is that you won't get anywhere close with the gain set to 4 without a tubescreamer or something of the sort in front of it. I'm sure you're already well aware of scale length and string gauge playing a huge factor in getting a thick dropped tone... Like I said I haven't heard it yet but if its like worwood (F# natural) you need a ts-9 and quite possibly a cs-3 or something in your fx loop of the head, atleast it worked for me. Getting a dinstinct guitar tone when you're playing that low is no easy task. Also the cab you use is equally as important.

i just streamed it live u shouldn't have to download it bro. but yea i think i gotta respectfully disagree, theres definitely no shortage of gain on a 5150, and this clip dishes it out in spades, haha. it's a little djenty but more leaning towards just brutal.

edit: not saying a tubescreamer wouldn't work, just that if he's not using one in this clip i don't hear a need for one.

acacia string? you mean acacia strain. this is definitely more like that shitty emmure band. anywho, tone is pretty nice, but boost some high end, and the low end of the overall mix sounds kinda muddy.

acacia string? you mean acacia strain. this is definitely more like that shitty emmure band. anywho, tone is pretty nice, but boost some high end, and the low end of the overall mix sounds kinda muddy.

yeah man typo sorry about that haha :p
but yeah it thought the same until the band got back to me and said they want the guitars even darker. so its whatever i guess.

im just reamping with the highs on 5 pres on 6, should be dark as fuck but thats what they want.