Need help with tone

NotJarnett

New Metal Member
Dec 30, 2013
Cincinnati
Hey there. I am looking for some advise from some more experienced musicians on tone. I play bass in a Metalcore band from Cincinnati, and am in the process of upgrading my rig. Right now I am happily playing an Active 4 String Jazz Bass in a drop B tuning, and just got a new head, Ampeg SVT Classic. My band mates and I are going to be talking to Omega Enclosures on getting the whole band some nice warm sounding cabs. With the gear that I have I want to create a tone that will sound good and also do the job needed as a metalcore bassist. I know that most people on this forum aren't into metalcore bands like Underoath or TDWP, but I am hoping that some of you guys can still help out. I am looking for a tone that will give the overall sound some more beef, as well as being a unique punchy and treble sound. I will provide some links so you guys can hear what I mean.

skip to 1:50

skip to 1:14

skip to 0:21

hope those examples help, the answers I am looking for are setting on the SVT CL that will help give that tone. Also, if you think I need to work anything in let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking wise a lot individuals find that a higher mid and treble creates a more 'punchy' tone. Furthermore, I notice a lot more people using a SansAmp Bass Driver DI especially for live tones or some kinda overdrive petal to give the tone a little more edge to it.

This guys gives a decent demo of the pedal.

Aside from that it all the amp and bass and of coarse how aggressive you are when your playing.

As site of reference if you use

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what

it gives a pretty update database on what bassists/guitarist is using what gear so it can give a frame of reference you to do some exploring.

Last edited by a moderator: