Need help with bass tone

NotJarnett

New Metal Member
Dec 30, 2013
Cincinnati
Hey there. I am looking for some advise from some more experienced musicians on tone. I play bass in a Metalcore band from Cincinnati, and am in the process of upgrading my rig. Right now I am happily playing an Active 4 String Jazz Bass in a drop B tuning, and just got a new head, Ampeg SVT Classic. My band mates and I are going to be talking to Omega Enclosures on getting the whole band some nice warm sounding cabs. With the gear that I have I want to create a tone that will sound good and also do the job needed as a metalcore bassist. I know that most people on this forum aren't into metalcore bands like Underoath or TDWP, but I am hoping that some of you guys can still help out. I am looking for a tone that will give the overall sound some more beef, as well as being a unique punchy and treble sound. I will provide some links so you guys can hear what I mean.

These are some examples of the tone I am looking for. I am wanting to know how much gain, treble, mid, and bass need to be in there, or if I need to add an overdrive pedal to boost it even more. Any Insight? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you got the svt Classic take the low mid knob and turn it all the way down, put your bass, hi mid and treble at the middle. Also, be on frequency 2. Start bumping up everything from that point to get a little more push on the low end, and some clanky attack on the top end. If you're gonna run pedals in front of, definitely a sansamp.