Bass tone, need help!

tripkagg

Oct 9, 2012
Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hi i'm recording my band home at my place and we got the perfect drums we want and guitar tone (after days of tweaking and searching) BUT the Bass tone!
We know a bass tone we really want but don't know how to get it, i've seen 1 of Joey Sturgis videos when he's recording both guitar and bass. i can tell you that im pretty inlove with the bass tone, you can listen yourself here if you dont know which one i mean ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gA7KuxPzMuM#t=30s )

it doesn't have to be exactly that tone but any kind of tone that these metalcore bands are using these days,(Miss May I, Attack Attack, Of Mice and men) amazing :D

Do you have any ideas of what they are using? please help me

Everyone is going to tell that "it's all about the player and the bass etc" and they will be right. But, besides that...

For me it's always down to a great combination of a good Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck (though I've had these type of sounds with my Warwick Corvette), fresh D'Adario Pro Steel (or Dean Markley Blue Steel) strings and a nice hard picking right hand. You'll get a really really nice sounding di.

We know that Sturgis uses UAD Nigel for his bass, so if you have this plugin you'll get the basis of the sound you're after. I believe that you could get these tones from pod farm, axe-fx.etc too

Upload a clip to see how you're doing so far

Everyone is going to tell that "it's all about the player and the bass etc" and they will be right. But, besides that...

For me it's always down to a great combination of a good Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck (though I've had these type of sounds with my Warwick Corvette), fresh D'Adario Pro Steel (or Dean Markley Blue Steel) strings and a nice hard picking right hand. You'll get a really really nice sounding di.

We know that Sturgis uses UAD Nigel for his bass, so if you have this plugin you'll get the basis of the sound you're after. I believe that you could get these tones from pod farm, axe-fx.etc too

Upload a clip to see how you're doing so far

+1! As far as tone processing goes, get your hands on a sansamp bass driver or a software emulation of one and start there.