Bass Guitar tone

I do 2 bass tracks. One grind 500hz-4khz and one sub [(50-80hz)-500hz] I use SVX to get a good sub tone with lots of low mids, and I use LeXTAC and an Orange cab impulse for the grind track. Blend them together and send them to a bus with eq, a multiband compressor sidechained to the kick and maybe R-Bass if there isn't enough low end. Squash it a little and there you go. Try it out.

I do 2 bass tracks. One grind 500hz-4khz and one sub [(50-80hz)-500hz] I use SVX to get a good sub tone with lots of low mids, and I use LeXTAC and an Orange cab impulse for the grind track. Blend them together and send them to a bus with eq, a multiband compressor sidechained to the kick and maybe R-Bass if there isn't enough low end. Squash it a little and there you go. Try it out.

Boom +1 :headbang:

J-bass or similar (P-bass pickups suck for clank imo), new strings, all knobs at 11, Tech 21 Sans-Amp RBI/Bassdriver DI (or similar sims) with lots of presence and drive
then another track with the DI running straight into a bass amp sim (mostly for lows/low-mids), lo-pass
for moar doom, add a third track with a crushing distorsion. hell, you can even run the darn thing through a guitar head, hi-pass (pro tip: SoundToys Decapitator is the bomb, put it on everything!)

individual compression on each track, 1176/FET-style all buttons in mode with quick attack and release works wonders on the sans-amp, a little more gentle compression (VCA-ish) on the amp track (multibands are great for this, get it coming through at about 200hz with super smooth lows), and the distorsion track rarely needs compression but sometimes you can get gnarly peaks around 3-6k which you then have to tame with whatever does the job. buss all the tracks together, put an EQ and an opto compressor on there (LA-2A or 3A style), critical EQ points for that clanky aggressive sound is a narrow boost at a freq that is not messing with the kick (if you have your kick boosted at 70hz, boost the bass at 50-60 and suck out 70 and vice versa), ~150-200hz to give it some body and 1,5-3,5k for the clankz.

been using this recipe for years and it has never failed me.

(pro tip: SoundToys Decapitator is the bomb, put it on everything!)

+1, that plug is ridiculous.

I've just recently started using the TSE BOD, but wow. I normally slap it on before Podfarm and its great.