Help with making MIDI bass sound more real

megajosh20

New Metal Member
Apr 17, 2012
I've been using the twango and texas grind bass and blending it with some heavy pod farm bass tones I've made, so the tone isn't the actual problem. It just sounds super robotic and instantly makes it sound fake. Also when i map the MIDI notes (I use Logic) if i stretch the note length too far to where it touches the next note, it makes that note into a muted sounding tone. But if I dont stretch the note length, it cuts off and sounds super choppy and inhuman. Any help is appreciated !

Never had this problem. Are there any midi settings you could look at and see if it's the problem?

I had the same problem, although I use Protools; have you tried stretching each note until it nearly touches the start of the next. If it touches it can create a dead note or silence sometimes, as you've found out! With it nearly touching the next note but still leaving a small gap, it should sound quite consistent in the mix.

Hello megajosh20! If I'm right, those are sample based instruments and if they are not configured properly and/or don't have enough velocity layers can result in a linear robotic sound.
The choppy sound when a note ends could be fixed with an envelope "adsr" module inside Kontakt. Try adjusting attack and release parameters properly.
On the other hand, you could automate the track volume when a note should fade out or even bounce an audio track and add fades later.
I'm not an expert but hope this helps.