PT - Making MIDI instruments sound more real?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I'm pretty new to MIDI , but I've written a pretty cool intro to a song that will be done with some PT Xpand 2 Strings , and maybe some Xpand steel guitar. Just wondering how the pros go about making these instruments sound realistic. Firstly , is there a "humanize" button somewhere in PT or Xpand? The only way I saw to change the velocity of hits was manually , for every single note , which would be pretty time consuming. Also , is there some sort of humanize to make the notes a little looser , as real strings would not sound so "on the grid" and robotic? Any help on the subject would be appreciated. I know Joey is awesome with MIDI instruments , I've heard some great examples on his albums.

I'm pretty new to MIDI , but I've written a pretty cool intro to a song that will be done with some PT Xpand 2 Strings , and maybe some Xpand steel guitar. Just wondering how the pros go about making these instruments sound realistic. Firstly , is there a "humanize" button somewhere in PT or Xpand? The only way I saw to change the velocity of hits was manually , for every single note , which would be pretty time consuming. Also , is there some sort of humanize to make the notes a little looser , as real strings would not sound so "on the grid" and robotic? Any help on the subject would be appreciated. I know Joey is awesome with MIDI instruments , I've heard some great examples on his albums.

Sorrry for lack of info on this but, use cubase.

I've been working on a prada project lately, and we got to keys (all of this was in pt mind you) and productivity came to a halt. We had crashes after crashes, had to rebuild projects from the ground up, corrupted sessions, instruments causing other parts of the session to become inaudible or corrupted, midi performances off time and delay compensation screwing up.

Protools isn't a sequencer, it's a tape machine. Tape machines don't understand the needs of sequencing.

Thanks for the tips Joey ! I'm really much more of a PT guy , I haven't had any crashes or anything like that yet with sequencing MIDI ... I'm just looking to make them sound more "human" and realistic

To change the velocities go to event, and there are a list of midi options there. In terms of making it sound realistic. Realistic samples will be the first thing. In terms of humanizing try shifting groups of notes one way or another. Like bringing the bass notes 5ms forward and changing the dynamics within chords to accentuate different words.

You can set the velocity and timing to vary randomly within a given range in under the event operations window. Beyond that IMO it's a matter of learning the normal variations within the instrument you are trying to emulate. What notes will be naturally accented etc.

To change the velocities go to event, and there are a list of midi options there. In terms of making it sound realistic. Realistic samples will be the first thing. In terms of humanizing try shifting groups of notes one way or another. Like bringing the bass notes 5ms forward and changing the dynamics within chords to accentuate different words.
Thanks , that's definitely helpful. The samples are actually quite real sounding (PT Xpand 2) , it's just that they have that machine feel to them , as far as no velocity or timing fluctuation. I will check out the event midi menu like you said , thanks again

You can set the velocity and timing to vary randomly within a given range in under the event operations window. Beyond that IMO it's a matter of learning the normal variations within the instrument you are trying to emulate. What notes will be naturally accented etc.

Awesome , thanks for the help !

Use the MIDI Events window (as others have said) to randomize velocity and timing on MIDI performances.

I've also found that it can help to use saturation and low-pass filters on MIDI instruments to give them a more organic, natural feel. The low-pass filter is especially useful for making sure things like strings and pianos don't poke out in the mix too much. Just engage it and move the low-pass frequency down from the highest setting (while listening in the mix) and adjust to taste.

Room-style convolution reverbs (mixed in slightly) can work really well too.

I got to Real Time MIDI properties , but for some reason transpose works to change the notes , but velocity , duration m quantize etc are not changing the notes ... how do I set velocity over the whole midi track to make it more dynamic ? I hit write to track ...

Cubase is better for MIDI imo. One great trick I learned is to expand/retract notes manually to keep space between them to replicate what real players would be doing. But the best advice is to listen to a real life composition that is similar to yours and try to hear what makes it sound real.

Also -- good verb can make it sound great

I've been working on a prada project lately, and we got to keys (all of this was in pt mind you) and productivity came to a halt. We had crashes after crashes, had to rebuild projects from the ground up, corrupted sessions, instruments causing other parts of the session to become inaudible or corrupted, midi performances off time and delay compensation screwing up.

I gotta say, this sounds like user error... I've never had a problem sequencing anything in PT... from small sessions with a couple instruments to a full band production with full orchestra accompaniment (each instrument on its own instance)... never once had any of the issues you had... and I'm on LE.