PT - Making MIDI instruments sound more real?

you guys must be doing some really basic stuff, or using different plugins than me...

im using popular stuff, and it crashes pt when we get into the thick of things. it will load up and work just fine, no doubt. but as soon as you start moving things around, changing settings, etc. etc. it will crash sometimes to the point where my system HAS to reboot (grey screen of death mac osx)

at any rate, to each their own. i'll continue doing things my way and get outta your way!

That's definitely strange Joey , must be an OSX only glitch , I've never had that problem and apparently neither has Andy , and I'm sure he's doing pretty advanced stuff. Hope you get that ironed out. Once again can anyone please help me out with the Real Time MIDI Operations , I cannot get quantizing , or velocity functions to work . Only Transpose is working ...

Cubase is better for MIDI imo. One great trick I learned is to expand/retract notes manually to keep space between them to replicate what real players would be doing. But the best advice is to listen to a real life composition that is similar to yours and try to hear what makes it sound real.

Also -- good verb can make it sound great

Unfortunately I have to agree, and pretty strongly. Even with the different "grooves" you can apply to pro tools (including some cubase ones, lol), it still doesn't come close to the awesome that is cubase's midi handling.

That's definitely strange Joey , must be an OSX only glitch , I've never had that problem and apparently neither has Andy , and I'm sure he's doing pretty advanced stuff. Hope you get that ironed out. Once again can anyone please help me out with the Real Time MIDI Operations , I cannot get quantizing , or velocity functions to work . Only Transpose is working ...

I have to disagree with you. I've heard andysneap records, and there's nothing complicated going on in the midi department. Not that I'm aware of at least.

Try a full symphony 12 - 15 separate midi track layers deep (many controlling multiple instruments and articulations.) Some songs that I work on require me to make these from scratch...

I have to disagree with you. I've heard andysneap records, and there's nothing complicated going on in the midi department. Not that I'm aware of at least.

Try a full symphony 12 - 15 separate midi track layers deep (many controlling multiple instruments and articulations.) Some songs that I work on require me to make these from scratch...

I suppose you're right on that one Joey . BTW Since you're here , I've been trying to PM you about your vocal chain , (but your box is full) did you ever talk in any threads about it? I love the Oceano vocals and even the new Attack Attack , just wondering what you do to process it. Sounds brutal:headbang:

I just saw some pictures of Hans Zimmers studio...he has a pretty ridiculous PT rig. Wonder how many issues he has. When I spoke with Greg Ondo of Steinberg, he was raving about Hans Zimmer using Cubase extensively. If Zimmer has this thing for compatibility, that shit is bananas.

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/P...favorites/10668747_AuyBk#827972341_w3KYt-A-LB You can blow the picture up too...just click the size buttons on the top of the pop-up. The original picture is ginormous.

Sorrry for lack of info on this but, use cubase.

I've been working on a prada project lately, and we got to keys (all of this was in pt mind you) and productivity came to a halt. We had crashes after crashes, had to rebuild projects from the ground up, corrupted sessions, instruments causing other parts of the session to become inaudible or corrupted, midi performances off time and delay compensation screwing up.

Protools isn't a sequencer, it's a tape machine. Tape machines don't understand the needs of sequencing.

I'm afraid I disagree. I've been using Cubase for years, but it uses lots of CPU and it crashes when you use several VSTis. That's the reason I use Samplitude. Comparing the same two projects, one done with Cubase and the other with Samplitude, the second one uses 50% CPU less than the first one. But, you know, that's just a matter of tastes...

PTs works great for me midi wise.

I haven't used it as a MIDI editor :err:

I just saw some pictures of Hans Zimmers studio...he has a pretty ridiculous PT rig. Wonder how many issues he has. When I spoke with Greg Ondo of Steinberg, he was raving about Hans Zimmer using Cubase extensively. If Zimmer has this thing for compatibility, that shit is bananas.

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/P...favorites/10668747_AuyBk#827972341_w3KYt-A-LB You can blow the picture up too...just click the size buttons on the top of the pop-up. The original picture is ginormous.

Yeah, but Zimmer doesn't do any complicated stuff...

Seriously, this is a battle that never ends. I've had a fuckton of crashing on Cubase/PC on multiple different systems, including my own, commercial studio and AE school setups, and just a few on PT/Mac. But then again, every other dude has completely opposite experiences. Joey, PT took a shit on you, but that doesn't mean it does that to everyone ;)

I don't get why he needs so many interfaces ?

it will crash sometimes to the point where my system HAS to reboot (grey screen of death mac osx)

Wow... I didn't even know a screen of death existed on OSX o_O and I've been using mac for 1,5 years now, on projects that are sometimes way too large than my macbook should be able to handle.

That said, I'm not using pt...

pro tools :puke: :heh:

Yes Loren

He probably has a lot of gear that he wants to be able to patch in instantly via Pro Tools (though he does have a huge patchbay in there too).

I thought it could handle more ins and outs. One 192 has 16 channels only, so I guess in his compositions with all his stuff 160 channels is not soooo surprising.

Haha maybe you guys should start a new topic about Hans Zimmer? Back on track , can someone please help me with the Pro Tools Real Time MIDI Properties? I'm really new to MIDI so tell me if I'm doing this right ...

1) Importing MIDI
2) Create New Instrument Track ( In this case with Xpand! 2 on it)
3) Route Midi to MIDI Output Selector 1-1 ( Xpand! 2)
4) MIDI Now plays with whatever I select on the instrument track.
5) Open Real Time MIDI Properties.
6)Transpose , quantize work when I hit Write to Track, but Velocity Does not change anything as far as humanization.

Just looked this up and found this
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=161543

Does this mean that Velocity only sets maximum Velocity (almost like G Clip) ? They can't be serious , there's no humanization buttons? Even guitar Pro 5 has this...

Joe are you on MAC or PC? PT is a very sensative thing. The crashes some experience may be caused by different things (your harware setup, computer specifications etc). I remember I had crashes with many plugins and it was due to my mac os system language that was set to russian. I changed it to english and it works perfect now. If you are on mac be shure to clear PT databases and settings often enough using special free app. I am personaly a long time Cubendo user in the past (about 7-8 years) and after 1 year using PT there is no operation that I could have done faster in cubase. But there are LOTS of operations I had a great pain in the ass to do in cubase, and I can do effectively in PT now.
And don't hesitate to contact digi (or Avid now?) They solved several of my problems on their DUC forums.