Need mix feedback pls - DOOM/DEATH

Raptor7

Apr 21, 2009
Hello, I need some feedback on this one pls. Not mastered yet.

All instruments are real. No samples used on drums whatsowever. SM57 on drums and Rode Nt4 stereo on OH. Guitars are 5150 + Marshall. Bass goes through Amplitube 3. Keyboards are all hardware except for the symphonic part. Clean vocals not included in the mix.

I would appreciate some neutral feedback apart of what I get from my band members and friends. So hit me, I need to improve it pls.
Thank you guys.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3474567/_mix_mirror_1sep.mp3

You sure there isn't a kick sample in there? It sounds super consistent and pretty good. The rest of the drums need some work though. Snare is way too low and sounds pretty weak. The cymbals are a bit thin and harsh too. How are they eq'd?

Vocals sound great. Guitars are maybe a bit thin and scratchy.

cool song BTW.

Hi, thx for your feedback.
By no sample I meant no external/commercial sample. I used 4 hits from the whole track, the best ones. If this means sampling, then ok it means it was.
Snare is low in mix because I was proposed myself to try raise it during mastering. However I re eq'd it. Cymbals have only some high pass eq and some tweak in the sparkling area above 2k and a bit of high pass above 18k. Also they have been sent just a bit to the main parallel Comp I use for the main Drum bus. However I am not happy with the NT4 tbh, I had better results in the past with two separate mics for OH.
Drums were recorded for some live show (when our drummer was unavailable) and intended initially to sound like this, but then we decided to record an EP using them.

Guitars have C4 Sneap preset tweaked a bit and a bit of sculpting eq. All buses have Voxengo TapeBus on them, also one on the Main bus tweaked just a bit.

LE: new mix http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3474567/_mix_mirror_2sep.mp3

Thx

I hope the DOOM word in the title won't stop you give me some more feedback guys. Come on European friends, you're my hope then.

I quite liked it. Nice song. Didn't find much to nag about. Maybe make the orchestra in the first verse a bit louder. I was also going to say try to make it a bit more denser but then I saw it hasn't been mastered yet.

Sounds good to me, I'd say even it's too clear but maybe for such melodic stuff it should do the job.

Orchestration ~4:00 slays.