Need new tubes for my rackmount dual recitifer :D

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
hey,

I just bought my very first tube amp. A fucking Rackmount Dual Rectifier !!!

I'm really glad to finally have something decent to play on. I don't have any experience in tubing amps.

The first owner changed the power tubes once when the stock ones broke. He put 4 Electro-harmonix 6L6 somewhere between 2 and 3 years ago.

In 7 years, the preamp tubes have not been changed.

The guy have played many gigs with it, and used it pretty much.

There is a lack of sustain and gain, when I compare it to the sound I got out of a new 3ch channel one. with the same guitar and tubescreamer.

so.....

Is it time to change my preamp tubes ? (I guess It is), so my possibilies, are JJ ECC 83 S, mesa boogie 12ax7, or sovtek... Boogies are more expensive from where I'm buying, is it worth it ?

Do I need to change the rectifer tubes ? (Especially if I use the Silicon Diode mode, sorry If I'm just talking nonsense here)

I should change the power tubes in a while. The electro harmonix sound a bit thin.
The mesa 6L6 STR-440 seems to be "ok". But maybe there are "better" choices ?

If you want, just drop your experiences and your point of view.

Eurotubes.com is the best for a one-stop shop; you can buy a full retube kit and the guys there are really helpful with answering any questions you may have.

I agree with all of the brands listed. They will all sound great. I would also suggest taking it to a tech if at all possible and have it gone over. Going that long without a preamp tube change...who knows what could be ready to go poof inside there.

Great buy man. I love racktifiers.

how much does a racktifier goes nowadays?

you got it from evilbay?

I paid mine 1500 euros. with a 6U flightcase.

I got it out a musicians forum. based in belgium near the Luxemburg border. The guy should be the only one owning such equiment in the area.

Thanx for all the comments.

Euh, Ochants76, what do you mean by
""Going that long without a preamp tube change...who knows what could be ready TO GO POOF inside there.""

English ain't my mother language. And sometime I just don't get it :lol:

I read around with the search function. and it seems that I don't need to change the rectifier tubes if I run in silicon diode mode.

you don't need to cange the rct. tubes.

I prefer chinese 12ax7 in v1 and JJ in v2-v5
v5 should be balanced (both triode-systems matched)

for the poweramps it's either JJ, =C= svets or GT (Shuguang) for me.