NEED snare processing tips (All thoughts are welcome)

Jan 2, 2012
I just started messing around with snare 12a. Mostly only used snare 20 mixed with snare 15 prior
In any case, I figure a good starting place is to get it to sound like some of Joey's and tweak it to my taste from there.

My all time favorite Snare 12a sound is from this (Listen to the intro)

v=SrtBPLgHZ08

well... Here's what I've come up with so far

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39591640/Snare12a.mp3

My snare FX chain is this:
EQ: boost wide at 200hz and medium at 5500hz
Transient Designer
GClip

CLEARLY It sounds awful, and I have no idea what plugins to use on my snare besides maybe compression

Last edited by a moderator:
my 'go to' snares are 11a and 12a blended. All I do is some subtle EQ around 200Hz and 2.5kHz, add some attack with a transient designer, and then clip it with T-Racks Classic Clipper

BtB raises a good point. Joey often makes use of SSD room sounds, that's a big part of SSD snare sounds altogether. He's also been known to blend different 'z' files, or different mic files from different snares - i.e. the z1, or raw head cracks, from snare 11, and the z4, or room files, from snare 12a or some such. If you're trying to go for the sturgis sound, try out those SSD/NRG room sounds.

I just think the snare's sound lifeless without the rooms. I'm using the NRG room currently, slamming it with compression and adding a high shelf boost.

When using the Slate Room Samples (z4/z5's) are you just pulling them up on a new track also going to the snare bus? Are most of you using a stereo track or just a mono?

When using the Slate Room Samples (z4/z5's) are you just pulling them up on a new track also going to the snare bus? Are most of you using a stereo track or just a mono?

Since I run my slate samples through kontakt, I have separate aux tracks for the snare and the SSD room itself, so I can do whatever with them separately. I typically run a mono snare track and a stereo room track.