Dominion Transient Designer

Jan 2, 2012
My ears are exhausted, I'm trying to get sturgis snare tone, particularly To Plant A Seed, in any case, I know I need snare 12a (which I don't have) I tried mixing snare 20, and snare 15, with decent results but just wasn't getting a snap, while maintaining a boost at 200-250hz...

In any case I'm super tired of messing with it, and tried searching for tips on actually using Dominion... I realize it's a super simple plugin, but can anyone give some insight?

To Plant A Seed is my favorite snare sound. I don't want to steal it, but I want to know how to be in the ballpark

you can make pretty much any snare cut through like a sturgis snare with about a 3-4db boost at either 200 or 250hz, then run it through your transient designer with a the at like +3 and Sustain at default, after that put Gclip or TRacks Clipper on it with a Hard knee and about +3db of gain and -3 on the output.

Thanks! 3-4 boost at 200-250hz already knew, as well as gclip. (I mean who 'isn't' clipping their snare these days) haha. but yeah, I will try the +3 sustain. Nothing on attack?

edit.. re read what you wrote, typo, but I think I understand "transient designer with a the at like +3 and Sustain at default"

I feel like if you boost too much of the 200hz range on your snare it's just going to sound dull, and shitty. I've had much better success cutting low (around 180hz is where the samples usually peak through) and then making sure I boost some 1.5k for the crack of the snare...which is a very important part to the sound.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but a transient give you the snap you'd want in your snare. without it though I would definitely agree that boosting at 200hz would not sound right.

I'm finding some good combos right now, transient designer is really finicky, got to have everything just right.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but a transient give you the snap you'd want in your snare. without it though I would definitely agree that boosting at 200hz would not sound right.

I'm finding some good combos right now, transient designer is really finicky, got to have everything just right.

I agree. It's so damn picky. I gave up on it until I have more freetime to experiment. It definitely gives me a better 'slap' sound than just straight up clipping, but I couldn't get the same crack out of it, so I put it on the shelf for a bit. And I just felt like it was making all of my snares sound the same.