Need some advice and criticism on drums/bass

Anuva95

New Metal Member
Apr 25, 2013
I've been trying to get punchy drums and bass. I really just started on this mix, I haven't even gotten to the guitars yet but I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get some opinions on the drums and bass by themselves.

I'm using all Slate samples and POD Farm for the Bass tone.
I'm not so sure about this tone, so I'd really like some advice with that.
I've honestly just been doing this on my own, I'm completely self taught and haven't really had anything criticized yet so I hope someone here could let me know what I'm doing wrong, just overal honesty of what they hear?

I'll post the full song later if it helps, I just bounced a clip from the end of the first verse to the end of the breakdown.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64301068/Bass and Drums test.wav

Thanks guys!

The drums sound pretty punchy. It's almost too much, you can eventually have problems with not enough space for the other instruments, but this will become clear after you add guitars and vocals. What sample did you use for the snare? How did you process the drums?
The bass is a bit weak, though. It sounds like it's playing behind the drums. You can try to lift it up in level a bit and maybe make it more aggressive, by playing around with high mids/highs distortion.