need some advice

forsaker

Aug 29, 2010
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading about mixing & mastering for a few months. In the meantime I collected money which I've recently spent on firepod, a pair of yamaha hs80m, a few mics and some software. This week I started recording a fellow band and now I'm trying to learn something by putting the theory into practice. Below, there's a link to a rough version of one of the songs that was 'mixed and mastered' by me. I know that it sounds like shit but I've got stucked and I need some advice how to make a progress. Unfortunately, my room hasn't been adapted yet but I'm gonna do it next week. I'm fully aware of the fact that the cymbals suck and I will be working on them very soon. The drum tracks still need some work (they were recorded on the electronic drumset and I used ezdrummer afterward) to sound more natural. The bass track is sloppy and will be re-recorded. Some editing is still required so I would like you to concentrate on the sound of this track. I would really apprectiate your help and any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
YO! I can't even hear the cymbals due to the crazy LOUD guitars. But the cymbals are what they are with EZ-drummer, they are generic and over-used so if you want to fix them you should try some other software or at least get Superior 2 or Slate.

You got something good going on though so keep at it!

Turn the guitars down a LOT and I think this will sound pretty decent already! Also, I would probably dip a bit around the 700 hz region in those guitars, to make them less "honky", and create a bit of depth. Not too much though, or you will kill them.

And I know your pain about sampled cymbals man. So hard to get them to sound at least decent... but like Ola said, superior drums 2 is a step forward. I don't like the slate cymbals too much though, but the kicks and snares are very easy to use. I also like the slate toms with a bit of tweaking.

Thank you so much guys! I started from scratch and here is the result:

This version is not as loud as the previous one. I will consider using a different source for cymbals, as you said. Now, I'm focusing on making it sound wider. Do you have any suggestions/comments concerning this issue as well as the whole mix?
Thanks in advance.

Ok, a new version uploaded. I'm still wating for some suggestions ;)

Hi, it's me again. :) Recently I've been struggling with some low end issues. I need your opinion on this issue since my room isn't treated and I can't hear everything clearly in this range. Thus, I was dealing with this problem with not so good phones and a frequency analyser. I would really appreciate your help.