Need some advice on a mix

88mph

manbearpig
Sep 26, 2008
Hey guys, I was working on a band's debut and we almost recorded everything except the real drums and vocals. So, for me it's wrong starting the mix before recording the drums but, I was gonna use some samples (replacement) on drums, so I'm trying to figure out how they're going to sound when it's all done.

Anyways, I tried to convince them to reamp the guitar tracks but they say they're on a really really tight budget, so they're going to settle with SoloC and 8505:)

Here's a short part of a song I roughly mixed yesterday. Could you give me some advice on the overall sound. After a couple of listenings, I can't figure out what's right or wrong:) Need some time to rest my ears. (kick is too loud, isn't it, tell me the truth:))

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/819470/göt.mp3

thanx ulverine, this means a lot. seriously, you guys, just tell me the things that disturbs your ear. like "i'd go with a more decent bass tone" or "guitars suck" is also something:)

If the bassist isn't against it, I would try to duplicate the basstrack, highpass it at ~300hz and put it thru a distortion plugin just to give it some grit.

believe it or not we were just talkin about you, they put the sample on myspace and i showed them your "myspace rapes" graphs.

dublicating the track for a little distortion was always in my mind but never sure about that. i'll give it a try. thanks a lot.