Need some advice...

The Don

Oct 29, 2004
Evergreen, Colorado USA
Hey I'm going on a week long trip tomorrow to look at colleges and I need somethin new to get into. Not just a good CD but a band that has a solid discography and is truly quality. My (cliche) "list of good stuff to dig into" is as follows:

Death Metal
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Soilwork
Children of Bodom
Norther
Kalmah
Arch Enemy
Skyfire
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Hypocrisy
The Haunted
Opeth

Power Metal
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody
Stratovarius
Hammerfall

I know these are all everyone's fav bands, but they all have a LOAD of quality stuff. If you have somethin you think I'd like, post it (no one hit wonders either!)

Check out some viking:
Turisas, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Thyrfing, Amon Amarth

Necrophagist is deathmetal
In Flames is not
Psycroptic is Death Metal
Dark Tranquillity is not
Spawn of Possession is death metal
children of bodom is not.

those three bands should give you some fun.

Warheart2 said:
BLIND GUARDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!
hell ya! BG i recommend Imaginations from the other side or somewhere far beyond. Some other good PM bands are:

Dragonforce
Persuader(more pissed off BG)
Falconer(old stuff)
Gamma Ray
Some old Helloween (walls of Jericho)

What I've heard from Blind Guardian and Rhasphody have been pretty mediocre. I've even listen to the newest demons and wizards cd because I heard a lot of hype about it, but was pretty unimpressed by what I heard. Can you guys recommend me some of their best songs in your opinion?

well "imaginations form the other side" is probaly their best album. 2nd id say would be somewhere far beyond. but if i were to recommend a cd it would be blind guardian live. they are like flawless live and it has a lil bit of everything from every album.
BG's early stuff was really fast and almost like thrash. but as the progressed it got more "epic" and they slowed down. also you gotta like alot of fantasy literature to really appreciate them. they are really into Lord of The Rings and some Stephen King.

Well thanks everyone for the recommendations. I laugh when I read all these cuz I forgot so many I've been listening to (some for years). But Symph. X, Ensiferum, Dragonforce, Finntroll, Facloner, Dream Theater - all bands I've been hit already. But oh well I went with Blind Guardian. Kickass! Oh and Bobvex, I know IF DT and DT aren't really death metal i was just making a nice little generalization to separated harder metal from power metal.