need some comments and suggestions about the song

I

Ivo

ok, i'm working on a song for my side project, and need opinions\comments and critics whether it is good with piano, it was supposed to be with acoustic guitars, but I couldn't record them with the quality I want, so switched to piano, but have some doubts...:confused:
it is a song with female vocs, so I opened a topic in TG board and it seems they liked the song that way, I wonder what do you think?

http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3gen/72157/IUMA/Bands/Dreamflight/audio/Dreamflight_-_Lonely.mp3

STOP PRESS! ivo, this is brilliant. the production, the female vocals, the playing, the charming keyboards...perfect. but now that you've mentioned it, i wonder how it would be with acoustics...im a person who always prefers the guitar to a grand piano, so i'd like to listen to this beautiful piece on guitar, please.

dreamflight, eh? gotta keep that name in mind! tell me more about it. and how'd you get the production to be so good anyways?

well, i also prefer the steel acoustic guitar, althought that piano is also one of my favorite instruments, but couldn't record it with the sharp quality I want (in my home studio) - I want the guitars to have clean sound like the acoustics of "Anyone, anywhere" or Sopor's increadible acoustics on "No-one is there" & "On Saturn days...", but just will have to make some more equipment investments :) anyways thank you very much for the comments about the song, really appreciate this!!

People DOWNLOAD this song NOW! Doesn't matter if you have 56K... it's worth it!

But I'm wondering how it sounds on ac. guitars, maybe with a slight echoeffect on it... :eek:
It keeps me thinking of 'Everwake', certainly if the piano will become guitars...
The end is kinda harsch, is it supposed to be like that?

Great work!!! * if I could do something like that *

i've dowloaded the song from teh TG forum , and indeed , it sounds very nice :)
Nice piece of Piano , nice vocals , nice soundscape .. yeah , definitely great :D

same as crack : i wonder what equipment u use?

Thanks again guys for the feedback...actually the song indeed sounds better with acoustics, coz it is composed like that, it has now some acoustics (you can hear them), but they're silent into the background with electrical guitar.
As for the equipment, I would tell you that (for me) this is not the most importand thing, yes it is importand, but there's something else that is more importand and it is the mastering of already recorded stuff - and one of it's general rules - is that there's a HUGE difference between simply good\decent mastering and an excellent mastering, coz if you hear my older songs recorded with the same gear, they sound terribly - i'm just getting now into these things - here in my home i have plenty of different junk, and I'm planning to start my own studio business, if meanwhile don't hit the road with my black metal band, when we release our debut album. (hopefully i'll find band mates till then)
If you need advices for equipment, ask the people who are really into it (they sometimes post here:)), there could be a million variations and i can give some advice too, but i'm amateur compared to them.

Yeah, but I just wanted to know what synth did you use and if you sequenced it and with what. And just out of curiosity, did you use a traditional recording equipment or did you do it with computer?

I've been planning for ages to start a project which would involve a girl and simple, melancholic popsongs, but I ain't got the time...

as for the synth it is roland e-96 for the background strings and the piano (i think that roland has the best sounds ever) + some additional midi sequences from REASON (great swedish software) for the violin and the flute - the vocs are recorded with shure sm-58.

After a long time I got a kick to start doing some stuff on my own (and not with my band).. shit, now the only thing I need is a standalone seq since I don't have a computer and can't afford one...

Originally posted by Crack Hitler
After a long time I got a kick to start doing some stuff on my own (and not with my band).. shit, now the only thing I need is a standalone seq since I don't have a computer and can't afford one...
at least you have a band... I have only Tatyana (the female singer) and when last summer I received a serious proposal for US tour - I didn't have band mates nor money to get there.

playback sucks! I remember seeing Peccatum doing something like this!! It is fake, never will do something like that!

surely, it was quantized :) it was played apart and recorded in midi, few decorations...
i usually manually quantize all of the midi stuff i use, coz things are pretty shaky:lol:
btw, what instrument you play?

sometimes, things can be done only on playback - there was a choir on Tristania, right?

Originally posted by Ivo
sometimes, things can be done only on playback - there was a choir on Tristania, right?
True, but he's quite sure it was playback... I didn't notice... but I was pretty far from the stage... It sucked anyway...