Need some hard assed opinions of these mixes....

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
OK I think I have solved the "All elusive natural drum" problem in my studio .....

57s on the toms :) FUCK you Sennheiser and your shitty 609!

I want you guys to be brutally honest on this one, just tear this shit apart. Its a pop rock song I did recently, tell me what you think......

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_no...tent=song&utm_medium=link&utm_source=facebook

I can upload High Quality WAV or MP3 tomorrow if you like.

MD421's dude! And yes, 57's have ALWAYS been great on toms for me too! The only thing I don't use them on is the floor toms :)

Rate My Mix sub-forum still exists.

It sounds like it's from 1987. Everything is very thin.

on my little crap computer speakers, the drums sound alright, but the hat seems a little too prominent

the singer chick also seems really average...like she's struggling like hell throughout the whole thing - not that that's on you, though

only thing that sounded really good on these poopy speakers was the guitar lead tone...it jumped right out at me, maybe just cause my ears were pumped that the girl stopped singing for a minute

+1 to lack of overall bottom end for sure m8.
Also more top end "air" or "sparkle" would be nice. Snare in particular.
Overall balance is a little off, some guitars could br louder, others quiter etc.
More seperation might be nice on distorted tracks.

My main thing is the lack of energy in the tracks. This can be from a few things but mostly a result of going the natural drum road. At least with samples the attack and energy from a great drummer has already been supplied but when you use natural drums you are completely at the mercy of the drummer you are recording. In the case I think he took it too easy on the drums. The whole thing sounds like a multi miked/mixed rehersal, if you know what I mean. This is not your fault (unless you were producing too lol)
Could be compression related too. I think it could be that you are not using enough compression on certain tracks/groups, combined with either too much master buss or mastering comp (which just pumps the mix rather than providing the energy like track or group compression can). Apply more mix compression and less master compression.

VCC = profit?

Same shit that all your mixes have (that I've heard); thinness, not focused enough, and not enough low-end. I think maybe there could be something wrong with your room or monitor positioning.

It definitely sounds very very thin, the highs are very weird as well they sound quite harsh and "digital" for a lack of better word, there's no focal point, mids aren't strong so the whole thing is pretty weak, songs are pretty good though. It literally seems like you mixed this with loads of comb filtering fucking with you

The lack of low end comments are very interesting to me cause in the car and on my home stereo the bass is overpowering everything. The pumping I agree with especially since its so noticeably when the guitars come in after the break. Ill give all of these suggestions a try and see where it leads.

As for the "rate my mix" section, as we all know those of you who do the quality work around here rarely show up in that section. I was looking for the opinions of the guys who know what they are doing and not the kids looking for POD Tact ;)