How do you handle ungreatful bands???

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I have a band I recorded last year, and here was the situation....

The drummer couldnt play ANY of the parts the band "programmed in guitar pro", and the parts he COULD play they couldn't do to a click. The demo I think came out good considering the drums we used were programmed, and the musicians were sloppy as fuck. I really posihed the FUCK out of it....

Anyway a buddy of theirs who is OBVIOUSLY and editing and programing god just recorded a tune for them, while the production itself isnt all that stellar, its VERY tight, and makes the band sound like they can actually play. So yesterday they started talking a shit ton of smack about my studio to their friends.

I have called them on their bullshit, and told them stright up there is NO WAY this is "real drums" but they are swearing up and down that the drumer played it.

I SWEAR this is programmed, not just cause he cant play, but because of the lack of dynamics, and the tones in general. They say the guy even "triggered" cymbals ..... really?

Have a listen and tell me your thoughs on this shitcore night mare and how to deal with these little fuckers talking all kinds of shit to other bands in town.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_no...tent=song&utm_medium=link&utm_source=facebook

If you listen to 5:29, & Mordor, you will hear the recordings we did originally.

It's simple - don't work with bands in this genre. Cut off their avenue to any kind of environment that can pass off the shitpile they call music as anything other than the utter disgrace it is. When you work with artists who value music and all the things that encompasses, such as arrangement, aesthetics, emotional impact rather than shallow gimmickry you'll also find that they will respect you more.

PS. Editing or no, this music is horrific. You would've done them a favor by dumping the CD before release.

Well here's this for thought:

When the Elm Street guys approached me in 2009 about recording their debut full length, they were all averaging around 19 years. Their attitude going in was 'dude, you're great, we'll defer all the decisions to you'. We ended up actually scrapping the entire CD after it was recorded the first time. A good month of their time and money, all down the drain for the sake of experience. Their response to that? 'Dude, you're right, we need to practice more. We'll come back when we do that.' They came back a year later, we had a 2nd crack at it, and they completely knocked it out of the park. Greatest recording experience of my life.

The lesson here? It's not about what age people are, it's about how stupid they are. Protip: If someone is playing this cesspit excuse for music, or in any way feel there is a valid reason for pursuing such a degenerate career path/hobby, odds are there's not much floating around up there. Avoid.

If it makes you feel better, your mixes were far better than the other guys. I actually had to go listen to another song when I heard the other guys stuff, because it sounded like the bass on my headphones gave out again.

I'm with Ermz. Choose your projects wisely. And if you can't stand the music, price it accordingly.

At the end of the day though, if a band is talking shit about your studio, it really doesn't matter: What comes out of the speakers does.

Word of mouth is the best advertising, but if a shitty band is saying untrue things about your studio, the truth will come out at their live gigs.

the truth will come out at their live gigs.

Yup. You should have told this band that they weren't prepared in the first place. They're obviously terrible. Maybe they've gotten a little better since you recorded them, but I don't see any reason for them to be talkin shit on anyone's studio, when it's pretty obvious they can barely play.

Easy, just say "it's my job to RECORD your song using the gear that I own and operate. Its not my fault you can't perform it correctly" and wash your hands of it. Just look to your next project and try to find something to learn or improve on for next time.

They suck so bad it doesn't even matter. Listening to them is like having someone taking a shit down your ear canals.

Seems like the guy fucked them over with telling them the drums were "triggered from the cymbals".
Or maybe they werem, e-kit or something, and then he just hit "Q".
But it's not really easy to hear, the overheads in that mix are a total mess, mixwise.

The mix of yours sounds like a total salvage job. There's only so much you can do with editing...once battled myself with mixfiles to see how far I can take it, and it just wasn't possible for me
to get a mix that I liked, even if it could have sounded cool on well played source-files.

I would avoid getting into an argument. Chances are that people who hear their stuff and see them live won't give shit what they say about your studio anyway.
And if they do: Free shit filter for you ;)

This is what is popular with kids too, the world is fucked.
Am I just getting old, or does this stuff just suck big donkey dick?
This shit needs it's own genre it's ruining the genre of metal.
I saw some kid wearing a breakdowncore band shirt today and I wanted to tell him to stop listening to bad music.

Well here's this for thought:

When the Elm Street guys approached me in 2009 about recording their debut full length, they were all averaging around 19 years. Their attitude going in was 'dude, you're great, we'll defer all the decisions to you'. We ended up actually scrapping the entire CD after it was recorded the first time. A good month of their time and money, all down the drain for the sake of experience. Their response to that? 'Dude, you're right, we need to practice more. We'll come back when we do that.' They came back a year later, we had a 2nd crack at it, and they completely knocked it out of the park. Greatest recording experience of my life.

The lesson here? It's not about what age people are, it's about how stupid they are. Protip: If someone is playing this cesspit excuse for music, or in any way feel there is a valid reason for pursuing such a degenerate career path/hobby, odds are there's not much floating around up there. Avoid.

+200k