Need some help on picking out a new head, any suggestions?

Jani Laiho

Aug 25, 2004
Hey guys...so I'm getting some new equipment pretty soon, and I just wanted your opinions on a good head, or anything at that matter, that i could get. I have a Randall R412XLT cabinet, and Im having a little trouble deciding what I wanna run through it. And in May Im gonna be getting a Jackson RR3...because im too poor to afford the RR5 :confused:

alright, well, what wattage is your cab? I have a Peavey 5150 , second edition with teh signature not the block lettered EVH, 5150's have amazing distortion and some people think it sounds like alexis if your trying to copy alexi full throtle with the RR3. Id also reccomend any laney amps.

yeah, the 5150 you are talking about is great. i have played with one-my friends, through this cab and it sounded fucking amazing. it also sounded great with a marshall....i cant even think which kind, it was a while back. and yeah i would buy a new cab, but i dont make hundreds of dollars a week, so its kinda hard...heh. i gotta kick ass with what ive got for now. not that my cab is a piece of shit, its sounded great with any head ive used it with...im just answering that last comment. but i have been considering laney, i like those a lot. its probably number 4 on my top 5.

well thats good, i run the 5150 througha Marshall JCM900 1960a/b 300w cab. I think thats the only cab im ever going to use with my 5150 cause it sounds sick as shit and i get the sound i want out of it. Dont bother buying any cab lower than 280 watts as youll be wanting to sell it within 3 months... Ive never had the pleasure to play a Laney, but Opeth and so many other bands use it and i love the sound. My friend has one and its amazing. they get the heaviest sounds. I almost liked it better than my 5150, i probably would have if i had more time to play it...

used 5150- around $500

used Laney GH100L- around $400

Ive owned them both, and both will suit your needs. They are probably 2 of the best sounding, lower priced all tube heads out there. the 5150 is a bit more "metal" though but i never had a problem getting a metal sound out of my Laney.

@Jani Laiho: Take a look into http://www.harmony-central.com

It's a webpage were people write their experiences about guitars, amps, and all the shit related. People rank the stuff, so you can make an idea of how good/shitty is the thing you are looking for.

anthony-head-12inchL.jpg

gkelter said:
I'd recommend saving up and buying a new cab.

I own that cab and its actually not that bad. I decided to buy the Randall 200watt head with stereo chorus because im a moron and wanted the cab and head to match. THe head is alright. I can get the tone i want, but its just not loud enough. Now i have a distortion box i run into the clean channel of the head, and i made my tone fiddling with the box settings. Its alot louder.. fuller.. and yea, i like it. I am however looking at building a rack for the future. it will take a while and lots of money..

i have a 5150 block letter version, got it 350 used. i love it, wouldnt trade it for anything. however, if you feel like dishing out the cash, ive heard nothing but incredible godly reviews of those krank heads. maybe you should check those out.