Im going to be getting a new guitar soon...suggestions?

Goober said:
Oh heck no. No Gibsons......ESPECIALLY no les paul model off brands. I dislike the les paul very much. mainly because just about every other band has a gibson. over rated, over priced, besides, the gibsons just never did anything for me.

Some LP talk for those interested:

I've got a LP Classic 1960 Reissue from 1992, and it's a killer guitar. I took it to a guitar tech to be setup (which I really ought to do more often) and the guy was amazed at how fast the guitar was. I hadn't played many other electrics up to that point, and I didn't realize how good I had it. I've since tried a bunch of other guitars from Gibson and other manufacturers, but none are as playable as mine.Yet. I'm still looking...

That being said, with LPs, there are a few things that suck. First, the G string is a problem. It's a design flaw, and I'm hesitant to try guitars that use a similar design. The G string has a bitch of a time staying in tune, and it's because coming out of the nut, it takes an extreme angle to get to the tuning peg. Being as that it isn't wound, it can easily slip. Since the D is wound, it doesn't exhibit that kind of problem. I'd hate to have to deal with this issue on a Dean or BC Rich headstock monstrosity. My next axe will keep the strings virtually straight from the nut to the tuning peg.

Speaking of the headstock, you have to be careful. They break really easily. I'm counting my lucky stars it hasn't happened to mine yet.

It's a heavy mofo. It has great tone, but it's a test of endurance to play a show with that lumber hanging off your shoulder all night. It builds character.

No whammy bar. Not that I'd want one on my LP, but just consideration.

You hear it over and over: make sure you try the LP before you buy it. It's a crapshoot whether you get a quality one or one that's off. I can't believe how much I lucked out when I bought mine 14 years ago; I knew NOTHING about buying guitars. I think I just thought it looked cool and bought it. I honestly can't remember if I even played it! I'd never do that now... Plus, a good setup by an experienced tech works wonders.

@NFU: you seemed to be implying, though I may have incorrectly interpreted this, that LPs are not machine made. In fact, they are partially machine made, partially handcrafted. Gibson makes a point of this on their website, saying that they'll put their machine made guitars up against handcrafted guitars any day of the week and that theirs (Gibson's) will be more consistent. Whether or not their claim is true seems up for debate to me.

i was saying they ARE machine made. however, les paul studios are about a 75% machine process and lack the same care as customs and standards which are probably about a 40-50% machine made, but in an entirely different process as well.

Scourge of Malice said:
Eh, I love the tone of my studio. All personal preferance i guess :)

the tone of a studio isnt BAD, you misunderstand me. but for a gibson, i would just definitely hold out for a standard or at least a "classic". just better craftsmanship.

soundave said:
I'd hate to have to deal with this issue on a Dean or BC Rich headstock monstrosity. My next axe will keep the strings virtually straight from the nut to the tuning peg.

First question...ever tried a wound G? But meh, I've never had the problem you're talking about. Especially with decent Grover tuners.

Oh yes, I love the generic BC Rich comment. Let me educate you: http://www.bc-rich.com/headstocks.htm 6-in-line headstocks have been available since the early eighties. :p

Kenneth R. said:
in general I agree. the C1 Classic etc are all frills and no substance, with the exception of the hellraiser- EMG's and a neck through body with quality hardware at $650 new? that's not a bad deal imo.

as for strats... if it was made after 1980 :puke:

It's not neck-thru actually. It's set neck.

Is the C-1 Classic the one with all the sexy inlay work and the crazy trans finishes? Last time I reviewed them, the hardware was great. Don't they come with a JB/Jazz combo, mahogany body, grover tuners, and neck-thru!?

I don't know what sort of standards for guitars you guys have, but down here my way, that's pretty damn good..

Aside from the fact that they're manufactured in Korea, I have had no experience with Schecter to justify the use of the words 'cheap' or 'shit'. So I'm really at a loss.

i saw a propaganda video from jackson showing footage of the schecter factory...it was pretty atrocious. anyway...theres a reason why very few notable guitarists use schecter...its just not a reliable, top quality instrument. aside from its shallow aesthetic look and decent pickups, theyre nothing special at all.

I guess schecter are ok for the money ( no more than £400 id spend...) But in terms of guitars, if you're patitient it would be a wiser choice to go with a brand that is substantially more reliable manurfacturer and go for the higher end models. Second hand or not.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i saw a propaganda video from jackson showing footage of the schecter factory...

Man-o-man. When you make a statement like that, at least back it up. I've been a Jackson-head for years and have never seen such a video. Anything like that could possibly constitute trademark infringement. So now, I lay the gauntlet down. Post the video!

Half the time, the guys in the Jackson Custom-shop are too busy to take pictures of guitars in progress let alone other companies! :loco:

Believe it or not, the Koreans can make amazing guitars. Moser is using Korea for its imports and everyone who has played one says they are stellar. The world's biggest manufacturer, Samick is also based there. The ironic thing is, a lot of companies (like BC Rich) now believe the quality coming out of Korea to be too high/costly and are now looking at China for most of their future import production. Yes, believe it or not...China will eventually be the next Japan/Korea. :Smug:

SanctuaryNZ said:
Man-o-man. When you make a statement like that, at least back it up. I've been a Jackson-head for years and have never seen such a video. Anything like that could possibly constitute trademark infringement. So now, I lay the gauntlet down. Post the video!

Half the time, the guys in the Jackson Custom-shop are too busy to take pictures of guitars in progress let alone other companies! :loco:

Believe it or not, the Koreans can make amazing guitars. Moser is using Korea for its imports and everyone who has played one says they are stellar. The world's biggest manufacturer, Samick is also based there. The ironic thing is, a lot of companies (like BC Rich) now believe the quality coming out of Korea to be too high/costly and are now looking at China for most of their future import production. Yes, believe it or not...China will eventually be the next Japan/Korea. :Smug:

It wasnt an official video sponsored by jackson my friend, obviously such a thing wouldnt be allowed or legal. And i wish i actually possessed the footage to post here, but it wasnt even on the internet that i saw it, a manager and close friend of a guitar retailer had footage of the operations of several guitar manufacturers, schecter was one of them...

anyway, go ahead and put your "foot down"...doesnt make a difference to me, i was just trying to help the kid not make a mistake, i know what i saw.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'Dean' yet. Get a Dean Hardtail!! Beautiful! Deans are great guitars for good money! even the Korean ones are great!

So, get a DEAN!

I just wish more people were objective in their responses. I get tired of hearing such-and-such guitar is SH*T and then you find out that so-and-so has never played them. The Schecters I have seen have looked good quality. But alas, I have never played one, so I'll reserve my judgement. :kickass:

SanctuaryNZ said:
I just wish more people were objective in their responses. I get tired of hearing such-and-such guitar is SH*T and then you find out that so-and-so has never played them. The Schecters I have seen have looked good quality. But alas, I have never played one, so I'll reserve my judgement. :kickass:

ive played/owned every guitar brand aside from dean and carvin. i can speak volumes for just about every other major guitar brand.

SanctuaryNZ said:
First question...ever tried a wound G? But meh, I've never had the problem you're talking about. Especially with decent Grover tuners.

Oh yes, I love the generic BC Rich comment. Let me educate you: http://www.bc-rich.com/headstocks.htm 6-in-line headstocks have been available since the early eighties. :p

Never tried a wound G. I can't imagine it. I have used flatwound, which was weird... Mine are just factory tuners, and you're probably right about that. My guitar tech said the G string thing is a fairly common complaint. He's a Gibson certified guy, incidentally.

Anyhow, sorry if it sounded like I was making a general statement about BC Rich headstocks. I meant that there are some BC Rich headstocks that are monstrosities, like the Beast.

Scourge of Malice said:
Eh, I love the tone of my studio. All personal preferance i guess :)

I've been happy with my Studio too, although it's about to go on sale to cover the cost of more guitar impulse-buying.

What I really want now is a 7-string version of my ESP KH2 minus the skulls and cheese, so a 7-string version of the M-II with EMGs/Floyd Rose. Whoever said ESP don't do so many 7-strings now - that's disappointing, because I could not afford custom prices. I think they still do a Steve Carpenter 27" scale 7-string but I don't want a signature model, I'm just not keen on having some spoilt rock star's name all over MY guitar.