Need some help please... (english accent)

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hello guys...

I'm in need of some help from people who english is their native language.

So I'm currently in the process of recording vocals for a song of mine and me and the singer are having some problems with the accent. Specifically we can't seem to find the right accent for the word "manipulate". We looked on the internet at online dictionaries but they don't really help because saying the word and singing the word is really different thing... I know it's a detail but bad accent is something that really annoys me in greek singers and we do our best to avoid it. So this is the version we have so far...

http://sneapforum.kazrog.com/Keregioz/Cure Vocals 4.mp3

How do you think it sounds? good, bad, bearable, annoying ?
I'm open to suggestions...
If someone can sing and record it with the same melody it would be really helpful....I know I'm asking much but I thought I should suggest it anyway...:)

Hello guys...

I'm in need of some help from people who english is their native language.

So I'm currently in the process of recording vocals for a song of mine and me and the singer are having some problems with the accent. Specifically we can't seem to find the right accent for the word "manipulate". We looked on the internet at online dictionaries but they don't really help because saying the word and singing the word is really different thing... I know it's a detail but bad accent is something that really annoys me in greek singers and we do our best to avoid it. So this is the version we have so far...

http://sneapforum.kazrog.com/Keregioz/Cure Vocals 4.mp3

How do you think it sounds? good, bad, bearable, annoying ?
I'm open to suggestions...
If someone can sing and record it with the same melody it would be really helpful....I know I'm asking much but I thought I should suggest it anyway...:)

what's that word after "dream"?

instead? sounds abit like "in-state" ;)

that manipulate isn't THAT bad I'd say (not a native speaker here) the "i" (man"i"pulate)should be short though

"muh" as in "mug", "nip" as in "nipple", the "u" is pronounced just like the word "you", and the "late" is pronounced just like the regular word "late".

muh-nip-you-late.

In what the hell accent on earth is "man" pronounced "muh"???

Man is pronounced man.

In what the hell accent on earth is "man" pronounced "muh"???

Man is pronounced man.

That's how we pronounce the word manipulate in North America. The word man is still pronounced the way you'd expect... In the word manipulate, we really don't pronounce the "a" at all in the "man" section... The closest thing to the really short vowel sound between the m and n is "uh"...

I'm at work so I haven't listened to the actual file.

That's how we pronounce the word manipulate in North America. The word man is still pronounced the way you'd expect... In the word manipulate, we really don't pronounce the "a" at all in the "man" section... The closest thing to the really short vowel sound between the m and n is "uh"...

I'm at work so I haven't listened to the actual file.

He's right. We do say muh-nip-you-late.

From Collins English Dictionary:

manipulate.jpg

Man... american pronounciation :(:(:(

Its just the Aussies that sound funny to Americans, I bet the Brits would sound funny too if they would've been isolated to an island. [homer simpson]hahaha! :lol: hey, now wait a minute... :guh:[/homer] I'll get me coat.

ONtopic: I think there is nothing wrong with that "manipulate", if it bothers the singer, can't you just change the lyrics?

From Collins English Dictionary:

manipulate.jpg

Hmmm...it all makes sense now ...:rolleyes:

:)

To everyone posting clips and quotes from dictionaries...like I said, I already checked those but we had trouble to apply the accent to the word when it was sung...
It's actually not the singer but me that's not sure it sounds ok... specifically the "u" part (manip-u-late)
How about the clip? does it sound ok or not? forced maybe? Should I leave it like this?
I only got an answer to this question from non-native speakers (thanks to both btw)...

American laguage?

I thought it we got English from, you know, the English?

:p

Why not just use the English equivilant of Manipulation.

Instead of: Dark Spirts will Manipulate your soul....

Dark Spirts will Hoodwink your Soul?

:loco: