Laiho's English

CharIie

Moss
Oct 19, 2015
Under the gray sky
To the native English speaker on the forum, do you hear any accent when Laiho speaks English? When I compare his speaking to someone like Ismo, it's as different as chalk and cheese. It really sounds 'native' to me, but English isn't my mother tongue, so I'm not sure I could tell.

Some of my finnish friends didn't believe Alexi's actually from Finland because his english is so good lol

American here. You can tell he’s foreign, subtle accent and some word choices unusual, but for the most part he’s very fluent for a non-native speaker.

His English is actually good but you hear his foreign accent like a Finnish twang the same goes with fellow Finnish tattoo artist Sara Fabel who also lives here in Los Angeles

You can easily hear that he's European because of his pronuncation of the vowels and the accent. We (Skandinavians, Germans, Austrains a few countries in eastern europe, britains and maybe Italians) got this kind of a "hard" accent and instead of americans or you, my french friend, we are able to pronounce vowels correct.

Americans for example can't pronounce an A. Becuase of their weird wild west redneck whatever accent, an A always sound like the ay in the word "may". When americans say Alexi Laiho, they don't pronounce it like 'Aleksi Laijo/Laiho' they pronounce it like Äläxsi Leihou.

(interposed question to the finns: I really don't know - is his surname pronounced 'Laiho' ,'Lajo' or ' Laijo'?)

Americans got their american accent, austrailians their australian accent, british their funny Lond'n-accent, french, italians and spanish their typical soft/stakkato accent but Skandinavians and most of us germans are almost accent-free with the right vowel-sound. That's rare.

So... what was the question again?

Reactions: AlixSB
You can easily hear that he's European because of his pronuncation of the vowels and the accent. We (Skandinavians, Germans, Austrains a few countries in eastern europe, britains and maybe Italians) got this kind of a "hard" accent and instead of americans or you, my french friend, we are able to pronounce vowels correct.

Americans for example can't pronounce an A. Becuase of their weird wild west redneck whatever accent, an A always sound like the ay in the word "may". When americans say Alexi Laiho, they don't pronounce it like 'Aleksi Laijo/Laiho' they pronounce it like Äläxsi Leihou.

(interposed question to the finns: I really don't know - is his surname pronounced 'Laiho' ,'Lajo' or ' Laijo'?)

Americans got their american accent, austrailians their australian accent, british their funny Lond'n-accent, french, italians and spanish their typical soft/stakkato accent but Skandinavians and most of us germans are almost accent-free with the right vowel-sound. That's rare.

So... what was the question again?
We don’t all have a London cockney accent guv’na

I live in Northern England and I can tell you that the British accents are plentiful, and some of them have their vowels completely fucked up XD
But I see you point, the AmE vowels are harder to get right than the BrE ones.

Reactions: AlixSB
You're right :D I remember the first time a guy from britain asked me about my girlfriends name and I always was like "what the fuck is he questioning me?" because he always pronounced 'girl' something like 'gawl'.

Living in Lancaster, working in Penrith. Though I've been in Liverpool during the half-term holidays and had difficulties understanding some of the people there.

Yea and it's impossible to speak Texas for a Finnish guy, with their natural way of cutting words with b's and d's. While American English uses the 'wr' fluently. Finnish is one of the most down-to-letter pronounciation, but we too have secret rules, such as punctuating the end of a word or not may determine whether it's a verb or substantive.

Laiho is pronounced like... "Lie-ho" like if you just said the english word lie. And the o in the end is just a short o, not like "lay-hoe" like most americans pronounce it. Like how O is pronounced for example in the word "often"