The other side of the "Language violation" thread

italian has rolling r's, but i don't. i'm a bit better at pronuncing good sonorous r's than i was as a little kid though, when it seems i substituted all r's with, for some reason, vowels. since apparently the same happened with l's (i completely recovered from that one though, i swear), confusion used to run wild around my simplest speech. just like now.

I can do the R´s :loco: (in finnish...and in italian, too ;)

...though I would not need them for my own language. They exist in german, depending on which area you come from, though, but the dialects were never an issue (except for some jokes) in our country and everyone pretty much speaks the "common" german, and dialect in private then, if they like. But the dialects don´t separate "classes", they are strictly regional.
Fortunately where I live the dialect is not very strong and since my parents are not born here, I have adapted only a little bit, which means, I am easy with common german.

I heard it can be difficult for foreigners, like exchange students for example, if they end up in an area with strong dialect where things in everyday life don´t sound like they learned it at school.

The original thought of this thread I noticed at myself, too. That when I speak not my own language for a while, or even while I am learning something, I start to think in different constructions. Then my german deteriorates. Couple of times I almost adressed my parents in english :D

I'm terrible at rolling my R's. I absolutely have to stick a vowel before one, and even then I sometimes still miss. My "nerr" comes out as "nell". I have to sing along to "Reunalla" by saying "Erreunalla". And I can never ever roll them for more than just a moment. :(

My Engrish grammar skills goes down the gutter when I get extremely tired. Does the same thing apply to you?

I also love it when people from Scandanavia (or wherever else, I've just noticed it there) say S instead of Z. :D

Also Mike from Opeth I've noticed sings "yearning" as "jearning". Thing is, when I sing along I do exactly the same, I never pronounce them properly. :p

Rusty said:
I also love it when people from Scandanavia (or wherever else, I've just noticed it there) say S instead of Z. :D

I can only say for finnish language: they don´t have Z in their own alphabet, of course it exists, but ...
The S is pronounced differently than for example in German, it is a mixture of S and SH. So maybe it is not so easy to change to a Z. Actually the singer known to me who never makes such mistakes and always pronounces perfectly when singing (and speaking) is Ville Valo of HIM :cool: