Need some help with Ulver

Psychonaut

God Of Emptiness
Nov 29, 2002
Second left after Wal-Mart
Visit site
Allright guys and gals. This may seem odd but I currently have no Ulver in my collection and think it's high time I get some. Could you recommend to me what you think is or are their best albums? I would greatly appreciate it!

Go with Bergtatt or Kveldssanger. Bergtatt is black folk metal. Kveld... is pure folk music with all acoustics and chant-like vocals.

Nattens Madrigal is poorly produced harsh black metal.

Themes of William Blake... is really good. However, it introduces a more industrial flavor in the band.

Everything after that is pure techno/industrial music. Good, but hardly metal.

Dreamlord has an intense hatred for primitive black metal with "raw" production. Darkthrone 'Transylvanian Hunger' is poor production, although intentional.

Ulver 'Nattens Madrigal' is brilliant RAW production. It will sound terrible at first, but give it a chance and you will understand what I mean. In my opinion it comes close to topping Emperor 'Anthems to the Welkin as Dusk'. It is simply amazing.

The first three major releases for Ulver are a trilogy that every fan of metal (especially Scandinavian metal) should own. They are as follows:

Bergtatt
Kveldssanger
Nattens Madrigal

All are equally brilliant . . . BRILLIANT I SAY!!!

The later albums are all as Dreamlord said.

They are all excellent, it really does depend waht you are looking for..

And saying everything after that is pure techno/industrial music is doing the band a disservice IMO, they are far more eclectic than that statement leads you to believe. There is also much variety between the albums :)

Bergtatt is awesome, buy it.

I recently purchased Nattens Madrigal and my girlfriend and I had to practically claw it out of the CD player this weekend it sounded so bad. Then I went on about how some black metal bands enjoy making shitty sounding recordings, blah blah blah... but I will listen to it. Driving up the interstate was not a good introduction to it. :)

Keep in mind Garm wanted it to sound like that. He spent much time making it sound that way. Allow yourself to get into it. You will disocover amazing detail and nuance in the music. Even the lyrics took tons of thought and time.

I have enjoyed every Ulver release with the exception of Nattens. Everyone hails it as a masterpiece when in fact all it is very badly produced (on purpose) noise. I never could see (or get into it) what people liked about it. Still out of all of Ulvers stuff, Perdition City is the cream of the crop to me. Not metal but badass in its own right.

Originally posted by blakmetalemp
I have enjoyed every Ulver release with the exception of Nattens. Everyone hails it as a masterpiece when in fact all it is very badly produced (on purpose) noise. I never could see (or get into it) what people liked about it.

That's because you're shallow and you refuse to look past the surface of something. Obviously you aren't in the audience Garm intended to enjoy this music. It's MUCH more than noise. Open your ears . . .

Damn, the record HAS to be good to cause controversy within Ulver fans!!! j/k

I'll give it a chance, I like Ulver and I already bought the CD, but I am definitely glad that it wasn't my first Ulver purchase, I probably would not have become a fan.

Okay I'm on track 2... I don't like poor production jobs (on purpose or not), but wow... this is some damn fine music.

EDIT: On my second listen right now, I really like this album, but I don't think I'll ever like the production (I never even liked the production of Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane, and it's much more clear).

Keep in mind this type of production is part of the anti-death metal attitude of early 90's black metal (it's also a throwback to 80's black metal that actually recorded with bad production because they didn't have any money). I know Nattens is from the later 90's, but it was meant to represent an attitude and style of music from a few years prior. Try listening to albums like Darkthrone 'Transylvanian Hunger' and you'll know where they are coming from.

Yeah I understand the production is a tribute of sorts to older style black metal, which I can (and do) respect, but I still would like to hear a cleaner production of it. Either way, this is only my second Ulver CD (I have Bergtatt as well, and Kveldssanger is in the mail), and I am very impressed with this group, wish I would have found out about them a few years ago.