Ulver what are they?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
EDIT: I'm changing this into a general "what was these guys' best BM work" thread so you guys dont get annoyed with me spamming hehe. What were the following bands' best BM work and are they good/excellent in the first place (dont wanna buy some average crap)

Ulver
Satyricon (specifically Dark Mideival Times is it good? I know their later stuff was garbage)
Woods of Ypres
Mayhem
Dissection
Myrddraal
Borknagar
Thorns
Bathory
Dark Throne
Setherial

Thx in advance

WNxScythe said:
Get Bergtatt for some very good black metal with folkish interludes, or Kveldssanger for acoustic beauty.

WNxScythe said:
Satyricon
Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone and Nemesis Devinia are all very good, DMT particularly.

WNxScythe said:
Woods of Ypres
Well they've only released the "Against the Seasons" demo and Allure of the Earth... the demo isnt available, though I find it vastly superior to the full length, but Allure still has some great moments.

WNxScythe said:
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Come-on, you should know this.

WNxScythe said:
Dissection
Both "Storm of the Light's Bane" and "The Somberlain" are very, very good.

WNxScythe said:
Myrddraal
Finding a copy of "Blood on the Mountain" may be a real struggle, since I'm pretty sure I got one of the last copies, but if you can find this year's release "Falling Sky", pick it up, it's realy good.

WNxScythe said:
Blood, Fire Death and Hammerheart would be your best bet, but it wouldnt hurt to pick up everything Quorthon ever released.

WNxScythe said:
Dark Throne
Transilvanian Hunger or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

WNxScythe said:
Setherial
I've only heard Entime Divine, but it was pretty boring melodic black metal.

Okcham said:
They started off as a boring BM band and evolved into a boring electronic jazz thing.

Not to sound like a dick or anything, but you're dumb as a bag of shit.

WNxScythe: Metal-Ulver, while good, is just vastly inferior to the Elec/Jazz-Ulver, which is why Kris Rygg stopped playing BM altogether. Get Perdition City, then Metamorphosis & Lycantropen, then everything else. THEN buy the early folk/BM stuff. And smoke a lot of weed while listening to them all, cause that's what they're doing.

All those other bands, what Decadent said, except 'Live In Leipzig' is better than 'DMDS' (The best Dead recording has to be the best Mayhem disc.)

Ulver - Bergtatt,
for some generic black metal with folk influences.

Satyricon - The Shadowthrone,
because while Dark Medieval Times are great, The Shadowthrone is like a more complete version of it. The folk influences are still there, but integrated in the music in much more tasteful matter. And the beginning of the album is so freakishly great!!

KAMPEN MORE GUD OG HVITE KRIST ER I GANG!!!

translation:
The battle towards God and white christ has begun!

Mayhem - Live in Leipzig,
for being the ultimate black metal live recording! A perfect soundboard recording, containing all the essential Mayhem songs! BUY IT!!!

Myrdraal - Blood on the Mountain,
but Falling Sky isn't all that bad either. But as Decadent already said, it might be hard to find.

Borknagar - Borknagar,
and that's really the only record I'd bother buying. The next two are quite alright, but nothing you can't afford to miss. But the first are actually really good, and I'd definately recommend it.

Bathory - Hammerheart and Blood, Fire, Death,
and, actually, I can't believe that you don't own these already...

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral moon and Transilvanian Hunger,
for being the ultimate minimalistic black metal records! Probably two of my favorite records ever!

Crimson Velvet said:
Myrdraal - Blood on the Mountain,
but Falling Sky isn't all that bad either. But as Decadent already said, it might be hard to find.
Quite frankly, I'm bloody suprised anyone else has even heard of these guys.

I used to be a Robert Jordan fan (until I got to book eight), so I quickly sought them out. They were much better then what I expected, although I wouldn't call myself a fan.

Okcham said:
They started off as a boring BM band and evolved into a boring electronic jazz thing.

Yeah, pretty much. Ulver fucking blows.

Dead is a very average vocalist, I don't understand why people act like he's a god. Just Quorthon worship like usual. Attila was EASILY the best, he sounded like nothing I've ever heard to this day, with those rasps and that heavy accent.

Get Ulver - Nattens Madrigal and Bergtatt for their black metal, both are great. If you are interested in the electronica side start with Perdition City.

Woods of Ypres had a very great demo from last year, I haven't heard the new one but the general opinion is that it isn't as good.

Bathory - Hammerheart is ESSENTIAL.

Behemoth blows. Bland death metal.

Darkthrone blows. Bland black metal.

Borknagar's first album is really cool, lots of different stuff going on. Not familiar with their other crap.

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane is extremely good black/death/whatever, The Somberlain is very good black metal.

Here are my opinions:

Ulver: Bergtatt is essential, only black metal i've heard with clean vocals and it works out marvelously. Nattens madrigal is pretty boring though..

Darkthrone: Kings of black metal, purchase first five.

Dissection: pretty crappy, i don't understand what people see in them. Check out sacramentum instead.

Behemoth: Their black metal period makes for some nice listening, though nothing unique to be found here. Can't say for the death metal.

I'm feeling a little cheery today so here goes...

Ulver - Bergtatt
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Dissection - Storm of the lights bane
Myrddraal - Blood on the mountain
Bathory - The return
Dark Throne - Panzerfaust

Behemoth: Their black metal period makes for some nice listening, though nothing unique to be found here. Can't say for the death metal.[/QUOTE]

Hello, what are you smoking?

Behemoth pretty much single handedly integrated the pagan concept into black metal, not to mention that their death metal sound is trademark until "Zos kia cultus".

Ulver - "Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I Fem Capitler" is pure, romantic Norwegian black metal the way it should be done, with beautiful acoustic interludes. Their best. The follow up, "Kveldssanger" is a purely acoustic album, very folk-ish and Norwegian. Get it if you're into that sort of stuff. "Nattens Madrigal" is extremely raw and harsh. A lot of people dislike it due to the very minimalist production. Still, it's a good album. Their electronica albums and several EPs are also good, get them if you like experimental electronic music.

Satyricon - "Dark Medieval Times" is absolutely MANDATORY, and one of the three best black metal albums ever. Wonderful stuff, it has got so much more charm (and also better melodies, I think) than their second album, "The Shadowthrone", although that is a very good release too. "Nemesis Divina" is pretty good too.

Mayhem - "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" is also mandatory, and probably the second best black metal album ever. You HAVE to get it.

Borknagar - You can't really go wrong with Borknagar, I feel, although their latest effort, "Epic" was a bit of a dissapointment. "Quintessence", "Empiricism" and "The Archaic Course" are epic masterpieces (many will perhaps mislabel them as black metal, as they sure sound like a black metal band at times). "The Olden Domain" and "Borknagar" are also top notch.

Thorns - Many claim that without Thorns mastermind Snorre, the third wave of (Norwegian) black metal would never have existed. He influenced tons of Norwegian black metal bands through his demo tapes in the early- and mid 90s. Check out his split with Emperor if you want to find out what Thorns is all about.

Darkthrone - Every album up to and including "Total Death" is a must buy, especially "Under..", "A Blaze.." and "Transilvanian.." . You might also like their newer stuff, which is groovy black 'n roll-ish black metal.

Behemoth - Early stuff: Above average black metal. Later stuff: Killer death metal. Check out "Demigod" or "Satanica" to find out more about their blackened brand of death metal, or "Sventevith" if you want to check out their black metal stuff.

Ulver - Bergtatt is the only album of theirs before their electronic stuff that I care for (which I haven't heard yet). This album is only 5 songs. It's great though. I can't see how you could find that album boring unless you had the attention span of a sperm.

Satyricon (specifically Dark Mideival Times is it good? I know their later stuff was garbage) - What Crimson Velvet said.

Woods of Ypres - Only heard the demo, which is not bad, but most say it's far better than the album. I've heard the album has mostly clean singing and more acoustic stuff but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Hard to really call them a black metal band though.

Mayhem - Deathcrush, and DMDS are the only releases I would recommend.

Dissection - The Somberlain and Storm of The Light's Bane are both classic.

Bathory - The Return, Under The Sign, Blood Fire Death, and Hammerheart are must-haves.

Darkthrone - this varies a lot from person to person but my favorites are the albums starting from A Blaze In The Northern Sky and ending at (but including) Panzerfaust. Under A Funeral Moon would have to take the cake though.

Behemoth - Sventevith remains my favorite. The lyrics are atrocious for some reason compared to the later stuff, but it doesn't really matter with such good shrieking and such great sounding music. If you're not into "underproduced" black metal, Pandemonic Incantations, Satanica, Thelema.6, and Zos Kia Cultus are great. I can't really enjoy Demigod though.