Need some input on improvement...

Deofig

Aug 14, 2009
I am looking to improve as much as possible, and know I have a long way to go. Here's the lowdown:

Short version:

I need to improve my recording skills because I'm employed at a recording studio at a youth center.

Long version:

I'm currently employed at a youth center that is trying to get multiple media projects up and running, including a recording studio, video production, etc.

The studio is run by both my boss and I. My boss has years of experience in media production, including audio engineering. One problem though, is his experience is that of an older generation, before that of computer interfaces.

So I'm kinda of the lead guy when it comes to doing the actual recording process. Unfortunately, I have little experience with recording, but I am willing to work hard towards improving.

The gear we have is a little limited, though we are working on obtaining more gear as we go on. I'm working with some basic middle level dynamic mics that are a bit old, but work great. We also have three awesome condenser mic's that I find to work wonderfully. The audio interface is a firepod with 8 mic preamps going into Adobe Audition through firewire.

I believe the main thing that could be improved right now is my skill when it comes to recording. I have a song I've recorded for my band, and it's a bit of a rough mix, but it shows what we are currently able to achieve.

http://www.myspace.com/sheltonmetal

The song entitled "Into the Night rough mix" is the newest thing to come out of the studio. I'm happy with the drums for the most part, but find the guitars to be rather lacking.

I would like to hear comments on what I can improve, and how I can work towards making the said improvements.

Drums are mic'd with two condensers, one hanging right over top the drummers head, the other about two feet in front, slightly higher than the cymbals, and pointed down a bit higher than a 45 degree angle. The snare is mic'd with a dynamic mic about three inches from the hi-hat side, along with another dynamic mic between the top two toms. Finally the kick drum is miced with a dynamic mic sitting about an inch in front of the hole in the front head.

Vocals are a condenser mic, two pop filters, one about 8 inches from the mic, the other about 14 inches from the mic, me standing 1.5 feet or so from the mic, with a little movement back and forth due to getting into the music a bit.

The guitars are mic'd with a dynamic mic, at the grill cloth, to the side of the speaker, middle height, pointed 45 degrees towards the center. I'm running a Schecter C1+ through a 60 watt Berhinger V-ampire modeling amp. I'm thinking I might quad track the guitars, instead of just double tracking.

With that setup, I achieved the sound found on the myspace.

Thanks in advance.

I guess I shouldn't bump this since I'm re-recording the guitar and vocal tracks on Monday, but if anyone has any input, I'm still listening.

I think you are off to a decent enough start... I've heard way worse first attempts at recording/mixing. First thing is first... Use the search engine on this forum, and read ALL the Stickies in the Equipment and Production tips sub-forums. Then go here http://noise101.wikidot.com/ and read the whole site... and TAKE NOTES (for reference)... Personally I would also consider trying REAPER (http://www.reaper.fm/) in place of Adobe Audition. You can try it for free, and if you like it, the license is only $60 (non-commercial). Just my 2 cents.

good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I dl'd reaper and am familiarizing myself with it. I'm sure my boss will prefer to stick with what he's already bought though.

I've gone through most the stickies, if not all of them. I'm taking notes here and there, and am trying to piece it all together. Next week I'm gonna be in the studio as much as possible, and am going to try and work on what needs to be improved.

I think for the sake of simplicity, I'm gonna go the DI route with the guitars, and use the impulses I picked up from this forum. I've been getting some nice tones with that at home, without the hassle of micing up the amp and such. I think what I really need to work on is the tracking of the drums, especially with getting clean recordings of the kick and snare drums so I can put some samples on em'. I had too much bleed from the rest of the drum set on my last attempt, and was unable to apply samples without tons of problems.

Drums can be a bitch when you are starting off. I'm still not as good at drum tracking as I should be, imo. You need to study micing techniques and sidechaining. Search for all the info you can on that. If you don't have a good set of triggers yet, then the sidechaining will have to wait until you pick some up. But, that will help you tremendously with kit-bleed. There is a lot of good drum tracking advice at the Noise 101 site too.

Yeah, triggers are definitely something I have to work on getting. With most the bands that will be recorded from the local area I live in, they are gonna want that ultra processed "brutal" sound. I think I'd be able to get away with just kick and snare triggers for now. Getting a few better mics would help as well, but I'm pretty sure resources for such things are currently rather limited. That's what I get for working at a non profit youth center.

Then again I could always throw together some sort of fund raiser type thing. Hmm...

Thanks for the input guys.