Need help with female vox

Cyanide_Anima

yooveesevenbeekay
Apr 14, 2005
everrot, WA
So, my new friend and I started recording vocals the other night, just playing with ideas. We were trying stuff with her beta 58 mic. We used that mic without a pop filter (FUUUUUUUUUU). I tried to make a makeshift one out of foam but it was fail, I made it too small. I've decided I hate that mic and ordered an sm7b. I had one a while back and loved it so I wanna see how it would suit her voice. She is from Russia and has a bit of an accent singing in this style(which she is working on), softer 'normal' singing and it's not distinguishable. When she was singing closely into it, (like you'd normally would I suppose...) it sounded like shit, fucking proximity effect on that mic is ridiculous.

Mind you, i'm a newb at recording/mixing female vox and don't really do vox often anyways. I had her take a step away from the mic after a few takes. Everything we tried as far as her position relative to the mic sounded either too thin (a step back or less), crazy dynamic, or a fucking mess in the low-mids. The plosives were also out of control. Should I get another pop-filter to accompany the one built into the sm7b for this? The "sh", "ff", and "sss" sounds are driving me fucking crazy! Especially during the chorus! Even worse when stacking vocal takes!!! The "Shut off!" sibilance is particularly annoying and refuses to be destroyed. I've tried some editing stuff but it doesn't help in any way. But I suck at editing anyways. :yell: I will most likely never purchase one of those (beta 58) mics :yuk:

clip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24232048/Knibbles TUNEDVOX.mp3

What do *you* guys do with female vox? Do you edit the breaths out? What are your favorite tricks with sm7bs? Should I try a (affordable) condenser? Should I ask more questions? =P

I would give you some criticism, but I can barely hear the vocals in your mix...

I'd go with a condenser instead of the SM7B on singing, but maybe that's just me.

Okely. Vox are louder. Loud as fuck, just for you! I guess female vocals are usually loud as shit anyways, so dudes can ear-ogle. She is a singer but for this project she is doing a more aggressive The Killers meets Marilyn Manson type thing. I think an sm7b could suit her. If not I'll get an audiotechnica at2020 or something, those work ok for everything haha. I'll probably get one anyway just in-case she wants to do any softer or symphonic-metal type singing, which I'm encouraging her to do, lol. At least for background stuff.