Need some mixing advice

IceCreamShampoo

New Metal Member
May 3, 2009
I don't like triggers, i dont like crystal clear no audio defect pop production BUT, There is definitely tons of room to improve this mix being as raw as it is.

PAN wise, Volume wise, eq, compression. give me some tips please :p

Me and a friend are putting out a goofy demo tape of us just being us and well, id rather get a good mix going before we write and record anymore material and vocals.

thankyou!!! <3

and their is no bass guitar atm.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25442002/getting somewherex2.mp3

The cymbals *may* be too loud, but vindenl48 is right, take em out of the compressor. To my ear, they definitely drop in volume every time the kick/snare hits at the same time the cymbals hit.

Also, I'd try and dial in your guitar tone a little more and eliminate that fizz. EQ is your best bet here, but you'll have to play around and see where to cut in order to clear it all up... Did you use amp sims or did you actually mic a cab?

what monitors are you using? im listening through my audio technica ath-m50 and i dont hear the cymbals lowering. i dont understand why i dont hear it this way.

and thankyou for that helpful comment above. o wait.

Sorry, let me clarify.
I'm using KRK Rokit 6s and the compressor is ducking the cymbals every kick and snare hit.
They also duck on my laptop speakers, my Tascam headphones, and my surround sound speaker system.
So it's not an artifact of my speakers.

The ATH M50s are known to have a very flat frequency response; however, the bass response is not the best.

Take a listen on another system and you'll see what everyone on the forum is saying.

Sorry, let me clarify.
I'm using KRK Rokit 6s and the compressor is ducking the cymbals every kick and snare hit.
They also duck on my laptop speakers, my Tascam headphones, and my surround sound speaker system.
So it's not an artifact of my speakers.

The ATH M50s are known to have a very flat frequency response; however, the bass response is not the best.

Take a listen on another system and you'll see what everyone on the forum is saying.

crap. im not sure how to solve this problem if i cant hear the difference lol. ah well ill use this crappy basement style mix for now than maybe post the tracks here so you guys can fix it for me.

crap. im not sure how to solve this problem if i cant hear the difference lol. ah well ill use this crappy basement style mix for now than maybe post the tracks here so you guys can fix it for me.

Please do, I'd love to take a shot at this.

In terms of fixing the mix: pick up some speakers (not necessarily monitors though that would be ideal) that have a flat frequency response AND better bass response. If you can hear the pumping of the compressor like we do, then you can fix it.

Wow, definitely back off on the compression. The whole mix is clipping and pumping and ducking. The guitars are overgained, and need a lot of EQing. They're completely lacking in low-end and mids, and have a lot of high-end that could be cut out. The drums are very robotic sounding, which isn't a huge deal, but mostly they sit really low behind everything else. As with the guitars, they need much more body. Just took a listen on my BD-DT770s and my mackie MR8s.

Wow, definitely back off on the compression. The whole mix is clipping and pumping and ducking. The guitars are overgained, and need a lot of EQing. They're completely lacking in low-end and mids, and have a lot of high-end that could be cut out. The drums are very robotic sounding, which isn't a huge deal, but mostly they sit really low behind everything else. As with the guitars, they need much more body. Just took a listen on my BD-DT770s and my mackie MR8s.

the drums are robotic? thats a real person playing them.... guess thats a compliment.

the drums are robotic? thats a real person playing them.... guess thats a compliment.

ok im doing a quick remix. hoping it sounds better to you guys. iv never really learned to mix the professional way, i always just did what I thought sounded good. is there any tutorials that i could watch because mixing acoustic music is difficult.

ok im doing a quick remix. hoping it sounds better to you guys. iv never really learned to mix the professional way, i always just did what I thought sounded good. is there any tutorials that i could watch because mixing acoustic music is difficult.

There are some great tutorials on this site.
They're in the production section.