Need suggestions for a new guitar

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I hope I'm in the right section (guitars are under "gear" right ?)

I'm ready to buy a guitar to complement my ESP SV EMG, for it is not really practical on a daily basis and makes me lazy, I love this guitar but the need to restring a floyd rose every day or so when I record and the pain a floyd is generally speaking to deal with, make me want to buy a second guitar. Also I'm sick of the EMG sound, cool for basic metal riffing but I find them too cold for anything more subtle. So I'm looking for :

- stratocaster-like or at least something practical and not a V (eventhough I love Vs and exotic shapes, I want this one to just be handy to use)
- 24 frets if possible
- Passive pickups, so probably seymour duncan. I'm open to other brands, I like character sounds so I'm open especially for the neck pickup
- Price range from say 600+ ish up to 1000+ ish euros used, so say up to 1500 used if it's an affair and really worth it. I prefer used but if it's only available new in a shop, why not. I prefer standard series, or very good medium-line quality series like the LTDs in their upper range, I'm not after a cheap guitar or a guitar that is a concession in order to reach a lower price
- I probably cannot test the guitar myself beforehand because I live in portugal and the possibilities here are limited
- 6 strings.. BUT i'm open to the idea of a 7 string, for the sole reason of being able to use it with people who play in E standard. Really looking for a traditional guitar though since I might buy a 3rd guitar in the future to play with other people around me and who don't tune in low Z

Other than than I'm not really set on a combination of wood nor brand.

So far, being used to ESP and liking their quality/price ratio, I have been looking into the ESP Horizon NT II, mounted in SH1N and TB4. Also because there are plenty of those for sale used here and there, at least in france, from 900 to 1100ish

I'm considering a jackson soloist of some sort, I'm just lost in the numerous versions and series.

Any suggestion ? I have no idea what's up with the guitar industry these days. Any schecter worth mentioning ? Caparison ? Ibanez even (I hate their look but I'm really open on this search) ? Or even a gibson that wouldn't have a tremendous neck ? Charvel ? Lâg ?

I would say : wait a bit and ask Brent Monson : www.monsonguitars.com
He's cheap and his guitars kill. You can ask him a maybe less fantastic shape than what he's used to. I ordered him a guitar and it is just a tonal masterpiece.

i just bought a Schecter Blackjack ATX and while it does have Blackouts equipped i think otherwise it'd fit the bill. it can do a monstrous tone with a sustain that lasts ages, and i think it's much more versatile than an EMG equipped guitar, i was even able to get a decent clean tone out of it. a phenomenal guitar for the price, and the craftmanship on it looks like it costs double IMO. go try them out if you don't find actives completely unacceptable!

Maybe think about the PRS SE custom line? They're all about 600-700, mostly passive pups, SOLID guitars. I just got a new se custom 24 in tobacco burst. Love it. there's a few signature models that you might dig, you could just throw a set of duncan distortions in one and have a hell of a guitar.

I have the Horizon NT II. Its price shot up these past few years. Nowadays I'd consider the MH-1000NT instead and save some cash. Korea instead of Japan, set neck instead of maple neck-thru, and rosewood instead of ebony fretboard. Half the price, just as playable, but not as snappy and "damn bright" sounding (as some have complained) as the NT II. The MH-1000NT sounds more mahogany, NT II has more of the maple sound.

Ok so no real consensus then !

@Neptunian: A Horizon NT II for around 1000e is too much you think ?

I'll look into the schecter, I haven't seen too many secondhand on the websites I frequent but why not

Good call for the PRS SE line, I forgot this one, I had tried a few very decent axes back in the day.

I'm not going fender stratocaster though, I need a modern sounding guitar and neck. And I would go for a Tele if I wanted a fender. I'm not going the custom route either, I don't wanna wait for months even if the deal is good, also I don't need special or exotic specs.

About the soloist, which line is in the 1000 ballpark ? There are so many models I don't know where to start. The US series are way too expensive for my research. Also I'd like to avoid the typical jackson "let's draw a thunder and oh some snakeskin in the middle an yeah one or two flames" guitar art :lol:

Ok so no real consensus then !

I'll look into the schecter, I haven't seen too many secondhand on the websites I frequent but why not

Good call for the PRS SE line, I forgot this one, I had tried a few very decent axes back in the day.

I'm not going fender stratocaster though, I need a modern sounding guitar and neck. And I would go for a Tele if I wanted a fender. I'm not going the custom route either, I don't wanna wait for months even if the deal is good, also I don't need special or exotic specs.

About the soloist, which line is in the 1000 ballpark ? There are so many models I don't know where to start. The US series are way too expensive for my research. Also I'd like to avoid the typical jackson "let's draw a thunder and oh some snakeskin in the middle an yeah one or two flames" guitar art :lol:
The new pro series, or the X series have basswood bodies but they have neck through maple necks that mostly dominate the tone.

Seems about average. 900e would be a good deal. There are only two things one might dislike about the Horizon NT II: 1) the neck is not ultra-thin but more like medium-thin, 2) maple neck thru = mostly maple sound = middy bright tone. So just keep those in mind when comparing to other suggestions. Other than that it's a fine guitar.

Jackson Soloist non-trem, Schecter Blackjack, and PRS SE seem awesome too, though...

I just picked up one of the Tremonti SE's.

Put in a set of duncan distortions and replaced the nut and now its good to go.

Wasn't a huge fan of the stock pickups, and the factory nut is crap.

Great value for money guitar though

Just fell in love with an almost new Horizon NT II near where I live, like an hour driving away. More expensive than the other solutions since it's quite new (it still has the plastic and hasn't been really player) but far from retail price though, I'm getting it for 1200. But I'm fine with it because I think it's gorgeous and really makes me want to play it. Might have a few pics later (the owner just removed the classified). It has a finish I hadn't seen so far, dark natural wood, almost black from a distance.

Maybe think about the PRS SE custom line? They're all about 600-700, mostly passive pups, SOLID guitars. I just got a new se custom 24 in tobacco burst. Love it. there's a few signature models that you might dig, you could just throw a set of duncan distortions in one and have a hell of a guitar.

^this
My SE paul allender signature is a solid guitar, ridiculously nice to play, only downside is that they discontinued my model and brought out a new one with emg's in it :(

Still, i think it's around £699, so grab that, take out the emg's, sell them, and use that money on a set of duncans. I put a dimebucker in mine and it absolutely slays