need to consult about guitar tuning

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
i guess some of you might have the same problem. since i dont play only low-tuned metal, and even some other styles sometimes, i find myself playing at different tunings.

i have a stratocaster set to E, a jackson on E, and i had an ibanez tune to drop C. i planned on buying a 7 string, but finished trading and buying an ESP eclipse. its sound fucking brutal and amazing, and has sweet cleans.

now the tuff part, it rocks on low tuned metal, so i want it low tuned, it kills on rock stuff and sounds much different then the jackson. in an ideal world, i would have bought another eclipse and have it set to E.

is there some tuning you found that can be somewhere in the middle? lets say, if i take it 1 tone back, is it possible to swutch occasionally between drop c and just regular D tune? or may it harm the guitar?

How will it harm the guitar to change occasionly between drop c and d tune?

Not at all. Nothing to worry about here.

The intonation of your low E string will be a little bit off on the downtuning, but for regular bandpractice and small shows it souldn't be a problem.
Once you record stuff, set the intonation right for the tuning you're using on that song and you're fine.

I'll suggest 52-10s or even 56-10s for your specific scale and tunings.