Need To learn to scream

Everyone has their own style I suppose.... But I don't understand why anyone would scream from their throat, cause pain to themselves and assume it's safe. Touring with a sore throat isn't going to be pleasant

you carnt get a scream over night, I have just started about two weeks ago on trying to get my vocals to scream. I Have just been listening to the bands that i want my voice to be like, in the range around Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom. I have been practising "Kings of the Carnival Creation".
It isnt perfect yet but it seems to be getting on nicely

Everyones voive is different and just practicing I reckon teachs you where your voice capabilitys are without pushing to far you can slowly make it how you want it to be.

I was recenlty to talking to one guy after a gig who does the vocals for his band and he told me it has taken him about a year to get his scream to where it is now.

Hey, you can't argue with these results. :D

The fact of the matter is, I saw this guy live in August of 2005. He was a brilliant growler, still is, and he did guttural screams as well. Turns out that now he is having gastrointestinal problems. Why? Because of his guttural screams, and he can't do them anymore or else he could hurt himself.

InfantChaos, you can listen to people who probably have minimal experience, or listen to dudes who function in the real metal world. The choice is yours. :D You won't be able to do a kickass scream in a few days. My first attempts at screaming were recorded, and they sound like a kid trying to scream, some really lame stuff... but a month later, they were pretty great. Give it time. :p

The other fact of the matter is, there are people who have been doing this for 20 to 30 years with no problems.

you can listen to people who probably have minimal experience, or listen to dudes who function in the real metal world. The choice is yours. :D

Hoping that wasn't a shot at the posters here... I fancy myself a pretty damn decent vocalist:\

There are many ways to go. Some people may suffer from problems from one method or another, but saying don't listen to the other people's advice is a little screwy and then assuming they don't have experience is worse... And "listen to dudes who function in the real metal world" is just flat out condescending.

I will however say that WeAreInFlames tip to just flat out scream wasn't a good one.. haha

edit: Once again I'll direct you to the Bloodbath forum if you want many many many tips from assortments of screamers and growlers. You WILL find good advice there regardless of how your voice works

like lots of the other replies said
you should scream from your stomach
i personally dont know how to scream that well
yet i can growl pretty decent, and pull it off without hurting my throat

I can scream using only my throat, now that one starts to hurt after a while. There's a kind I'm using now that really doesn't hurt at all, and sounds pretty much the same as what I've got recorded. As far as guttural screams, I have no idea about those. They aren't really screams though, eh? Just high-pitched growls.

Scream loud. Stop when it hurts. Keep your throat lubricated. Stay away from soft drinks and coffee when your throat hurts, and drink tea instead. Do it around the house, and rest in between. Dont go doing it for hours on end. If you talk funny the next day, stop until your throat is back to normal.

And do it often. I had my vocals pretty good for a week, I havent practised since and now I cant do a thing. Wait till people in your house leave if you have to, or wrap a blanket around your head and go under your bed.

I usually don't eat because it makes chunks fly out, but I do drink a can of pop. I find that drinking a can of pop removes all of the gunk from my mouth and throat. You don't want any gunks in there. I wouldn't recommend drinking, like, tea though. Water is good too. Not everyone can use soda pop.... maybe after you build up a callous, lol.

Hello, my name is Robert Lunte and I am the founder of The Vocalist Studio. www.thevocaliststudio.com . I produced a training system called, "The Four Pillars of Screaming!" for rockers. We train these techniques all over the world...

Id be happy to work with you on how to properly scream. The advise that someone else gave you, "just scream"... is wrong. There actually are techniques out there to learn how to do this properly... both screaming in the context of extreme distortion and screaming in the context of very high notes... Its all in our training system.

I hope this helps... and Im excited to be on this forum

Robert Lunte
Founder
www.thevocaliststudio.com

i have been singing for this band for a while now and i got it wrong, we r more melodic death than anything.

Well that's good news. In that case you probably wanna go for the Anders Friden style higher register death growl. In which case you should go for the thread on growling and just skip over the stuff about Chris Barnes style grunts.

I was actually listening to In Flames earlier, their first few CDs... I did the airy low growls along with it and it actually wasn't that bad... and I don't remember my low growl sounding that good. Hmph. :\

You won't be able to just do growls in a day... it might take years... how did you become the vocalist for a melodeath band without being able to scream? Congratulations sure man but you're in for a rude awakening when they expect you to rip out those grunts. :p

yeah im not really sure how i ended up in this situation. i actually played guitar for them before and we couldnt find a decent singer but there were heaps of other guitarists, so i just said hey i can sing ok and my scream isnt far from acceptable, and they said yeah whatever just get a mic and u can do vocals.

Can someone tell my how my growl, scream, and gurgle are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you'd give a good blowjob! :lol:

Just kidding, hahah... not bad... keep practicing! :)

Heh just the other day my friends and I were joking about how funny it would be to do goregrind vocals when going down on a girl.

Considering the cleanliness of some girls, doing goregrind vocals is sometimes involuntary. :lol:

I disagree with everyone who says to drink water. Instead of drinking water for relief, I drink mountain dew or something else with alot of sugar. Water just dries me up while the sugar coats better. Hell, if you can stand it, try some honey or syrup.

Mountain dew's perfect for me though - lot of sugar and little carbonation.