A Question Before Buying A Guitar

Nofaith.Nobelief

God Is Dead
Mar 4, 2007
Ypsilanti, MI
www.myspace.com
I am the vocalist in my band, and we play brutal death metal. The other day during a practice, my guitarist switched spots with me, and I was able to naturally play the fuck out of the guitar.

I decided to learn rythem, so I can play and scream, and our guitarist can just worry about lead.

I am looking for some info on some good cheap DEATH METAL styled guitars. A cheaper guitar that is set up to play extreme style music. I need to learn, and I dont have the extra money to spend on a real expensive guitar to learn on right now.

Any info is great. Thanks.

IBANEZ!

inexspensive with great playability. other cheap "metal guitars" like low end jackson's and bc rich's can be a pain in the ass. ibanez may not be stereotypically metal, but tons of metal bands use em because they are just great guitars. i love the 2 i own.
~gR~

I would like to get a Jackson eventually. They make some killer guitars. Ibanez, I really can't get down with the look of the low end Ibanez, plus my buddy had an Ibanez, and he could never get the sound he wanted. The sludgy, heavy, thick as hell fire brutal metal sound.

Has anyone had any experience with the B.C. Rich Son of the Beast guitar?

I found a good deal on one of those, and I like the look of it.

I am curious if anyone has any good or bad reviews of it.

so you claim that you simply picked up the guitar and played well on it?, hmmmmm

i have a son of beast, pretty good playing guitar till the electrics crapped out on me, but that was after having and plaing it for 4 years, so i'd have to say i'd recomend it

My advice is go to a guitar store and find the perfect guitar for you

..or get and LTD, I hear the EX LTDs are great guitars for beginners

Just get something with decent action & pickups and a locking tremolo that works. I used to have a Charvette (Charvel copy) and it was fine.

yeah, id stay away from ESP too. id also reccomend against a tremolo for someone who is just starting. theyre nothing but a hassle
~gR~

go for a used Ibanez RG7 or S7.

or get whatever guitar your lead guitarist uses. if you are comfortable with it already, then it should be an easy transition. plus he will already be comfortable with it and can help you out with learning to play.

I may hate my Ibanez cuz it broke...But with all the artists that use them, they must have something right. :)

Possibly Dean, though? They might be a little too expensive. I've heard someone say that Dean had the best low-end guitars they've ever played... I've, sadly, never played one.

My advice to you is not to buy a guitar because it looks cool. The Sons of the Beast looks cool and quite metal but in reality is sucks. Get an Ibanez which I know does not look cool and use that. It's a great guitar company. It's better to sound good then to look good. Also, Ibanez are high quality guitars for cheap prices. Also, alot of the actual sound comes from the amp itself. Pick ups of the guitar help too but guitar effects and amp settings can make any guitar sound like Death Metal. I play Dragonforce on my Les Paul all the time and I do it using my amp. Thats my advice. Sorry I rambled.

The most important decision on buying a guitar on the cheap side is to find one that has a comfortable neck and 'hangs' well while standing with a strap.

Pickups can be changed, so just buy something that is comfortable, has a neck profile that you are comfortable playing (some people cramp on thinner necks, and play slower on thicker necks) so picking the right profile is key to playing technical death.

As for brand, look for stuff in your price range, and figure if you can find something used at a consignment shop, go for it. Definitely know what you want before buying off ebay or craig's list unless you can play it first.

So buy something that plays well and has a neck profile and action that you are comfortable with.