Create a Metal Cirriculum

Prowler121

CingKrimzon
Jul 4, 2003
www.elephant-talk.com
Let's say you wanted to teach an absolute beginner how to play Metal guitar within a year using 5 albums based on the skill level required to play the music on those albums. Starting from easiest to hardest, what albums would you require your students to learn?

My Choices

Introduction to Metal guitar :Black Sabbath-Masters Of Reality.

Beginner: Danzig-Self Titled

Intermidiate: Iron Maiden-Killers

Advanced: Metallica-Master of Puppets

Metal Guitarist Graduate:Opeth-Blackwater Park

Hmm...that's a good one. :) How about these, from easiest to hardest?

Kiss - Alive!
AC/DC - Live
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Rush - Rock in Rio
Nile - pick an album :D

I've primarily picked live albums because this way you get more of a bands repetoire to choose from.

Well I don't play much guitar these days but if I were doing it for bass i'd go with:

Introduction:
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger (it's like 5 notes total :D)
Mayhem - Deathcrush

Beginner:
Amon Amarth - Legend of a Banished man
Mayhem - Ancient Skin

Intermediate:
Destruction - Nailed to the Cross
Dark Tranquillity - Fabric
In Flames - Dead Eternity

Advanced:
Mudvayne - Dig (as much as I hate this band, the bass player has some undeniable talent)
Rage Against the Machine - Kiling in the Name
Iron Maiden - Tailgunner

Graduate:
Borknagar - Gods of my world (the fretless bass solo rocks)
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain

Intoduction: Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Beginner: Judas Priest - British Steel

Intermediate: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Advanced: Morbid Angel - Alters of Madness

Graduation: Megadeth - Rust In Peace or Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

How not to play: Metallica - St. Anger

Prowler121 said:
Let's say you wanted to teach an absolute beginner how to play Metal guitar within a year using 5 albums based on the skill level required to play the music on those albums. Starting from easiest to hardest, what albums would you require your students to learn?

My Choices

Introduction to Metal guitar :Black Sabbath-Masters Of Reality.

Beginner: Danzig-Self Titled

Intermidiate: Iron Maiden-Killers

Advanced: Metallica-Master of Puppets

Metal Guitarist Graduate:Opeth-Blackwater Park

I think you read my mind on that one Prowler...I would have picked the same 5 albums...Master of Puppets is a perfect example. I played along with that album at least 500 times in the past (on bass) to get my right-hand finger speed up - and Killers as well (along with Piece of Mind)...

Great thread...

JB

Cool -
Intro to Metal guitar - Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Beginner - AC/DC - Back In Black
Intermediate - Metallica - Black Album
Advanced - Dream Theater - Awake
Graduate - Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

If they practice like a motherfucker, they likely can. If they purchase the shittiest acoustic guitar with action so high the can stick their fingers in between strings and the fretboard, practice scales 1 hour a day, likely can handle far more than Opeth.

For guitar:

Intro - Black Sabbath - Paranoid (good one Splintered)

Beginner - Alice Cooper - Pretties for You

Intermediate - Iron Maiden-S/T, Anthrax-Among the Living, Testament-The Gathering

Advanced - Death-The Sound of Perseverance, Opeth-Deliverance, Into Eternity-Buried in Oblivion

Graduate - Cynic-Focus, Racer X-Superheroes, Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve (with no margin for error)

For Bass:

Intro - Thunderstone-The Burning

Beginner - System of a Down-Toxicity, Dio-Holy Diver

Intermmediate - Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind, Kyuss-Welcome to Sky Valley, Rush-A Farewell to Kings

Advanced - Sadus-Elements of Anger, Vintersorg-The Focusing Blur
Not Metal: Red Hot Chili Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Graduate - Cynic-Focus, Spiral Architect-A Sceptic's Universe
Not Metal: Jaco Pastorius-S/T, Dark Hall-S/T

Intro: Hypocrisy-Osculum Obscenum

Beginner: Hypocrisy-The Fourth Dimension

Intermediate: Morbid Angel-Gateways To Annihilation

Advanced: Death-Symbolic or Immortal-Sons of Northern Darkness

Graduate: Opeth-Blackwater Park (or pretty much any Opeth for that matter)

Splinterhead said:
Cool -
Intro to Metal guitar - Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Beginner - AC/DC - Back In Black
Intermediate - Metallica - Black Album
Advanced - Dream Theater - Awake
Graduate - Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
Pretty nice reply there !!

intro- Beginner - same (though if the player can get the tone Angus/Mutt was able to attain, he needs to patent that)

intermediate - Metal Church Howe era. Nothing great in the solo dept. but great fills and outstanding dual guitar work. This also enters them into a world with playing with an elite musician (Kirk arrington drummer) who will get his share of the production volume. One has to learn to make his/her riffs/solos count.

Advanced - Accept Metal Heart/Russian Roulette. Wolf is the ultimate trainer for someone who can play the guitar in their sleep but doesn't have their own style quite figured out. He can shred with the best and can play pentatonic blues stuff that makes you cry. As far as writing.... Wolf is at a graduate level because of his extreme diversity, but he doesn't play at the technical level of an Yngwie etc.

graduate - It is unfair to pick one. Stylistically, this person will be looking to certain players that fit the style he/she has already created. I would offer these options:

Yngwie (still the king of neo-classical)
Wolf Hoffmann (blue collar do it all, but still an elitist by anyone's standards)
Steve Vai - trick-meister. Great innovator.
Vito Bratta - (yes he is from some bad hair band, but he though he was certainly following the footsteps of EVH, he was one of the few that could have beat Eddie at hs own game.)

Bryant