Need to retube my 5150!

I guess it depends on what you want to do, obviously swaping out 6l6 tubes for el84 tubes would change the tone alot. Changing the way the pre amp sounds in some manner would fuck with tone alot too. I personally would never want a mod that was that intrusive. I would opt for more like less buzz in my lower eq section. Also less hiss on the dist channel etc. If it affected the tone a little I would care that much. There handmad heads are amazing I would by one over a triple rec any day. But alas $2400 is so much dough.

Trace at Voodoo totally changes the characater and sound of an amp. A Voodoo modded 5150 doesn't really sound like a stock 5150 at all. If you want a modded 5150 that still sounds like a 5150, JerryP at FJA Mods is the man for the job. He's the man with 5150's.

www.fjamods.com

I wouldn't send anything to voodoo I owned one and I think they sound like %^$(#!$^(% and their bench rate is a $100 an hour which is LUDICROUS! The Department of Defense charges about $110 hr for electronics repairs. Voodoo amps is not on par with the United States DOD when it comes to electronics. So where do they get off charging that much? Now only if the DOD worked on guitar amps....
Mark, did you try the bias mod on the 5150, I just did it. I like it alot get's rid of some of the crossover distortion. I just did a post with instructions on how to perform it.

I've played a voodoo modded Dual Recto - sounded nothing like a normal Dual, in a BAD way. Everyone I've met has told me that Voodoo modded amps constantly sound the same.

I like JJ's in my 5150 FWIW, and I prefer stock 5150 to the FJA ones - I owned one for a while before picking up my new stock one.