Need Vendor feedback

I see two missing:

Sentinel Steel - I don't use them much, but they have a lot of the heavier CDs http://www.sentinelsteel.com/

Century Media - I've bought a lot from them. Great prices, great selection. Just don't expect them to tell you if something is out of stock, and absolutely don't expect to get your order in under 2 weeks (usually 3 or 4 for me).
http://www.centurymedia.com/

Good luck with the site.

Steve

Alta Mira = Godly. The guy that runs that site, Neil is as honest as you can get. I've been ordering cds from him for over five years and don't ever see myself changing cd suppliers.

Ive heard ALOT of bad shit about Impulse though, this has been a few years ago however. I heard they just suck all around and take forever to get your order out (as in MONTHS) and are a bunch of retards that couldnt sell a burger to a homeless guy.

Ben

CD Inzane is another one. They seem to have a good selection of melodic hard rock & metal--with some prog and power mixed in. I haven't used them alot but when I did they were timley and answered e-mail rather quickley. Plus they will be at this years Prog/Power I believe. Dave

Here are a few other good ones--

www.willowtip.com --great prices (most are $10 post-paid in the US)-- not a huge selection, but usually a few hundred-- ships extremely fast as well-- takes PayPal

www.redstream.org --again, pretty fast and inexpensive-- $10-12, postpaid-- also takes PayPal

www.galyrecords.com --Canadian distro/label-- ships fast to the US, uses PayPal, most CDs are $9 + $2 to ship to the US

Also, for the darker side, you can always check out Suffering Jesus Distrobution at www.sufferingjesus.cjb.net --small Canadian distro, takes PayPal, lots of extremely underground metal, predominantly of the blackened variety

I've used all 4 of these with pretty quick turnaround and no hassles.

You're missing:

www.vvinyl.com - I challenge anyone in the USA to come up with a more comprehensive metal selection (in their store). For mailorder purposes, don't expect the tasty prices some of these others have, b/c mailorder is of secondary importance to them. But they do offer it, and will regularly have selections you'd have to go to Europe to find.

www.darksymphonies.com - Cool selection of some more out there and avant-garde stuff, plus a locally-owned label. Good, stand-up guys as well.

http://shop.relapse.com/ - Another very large label that runs an e-store. These guys began as a Colorado-based distro, and know exactly how it's supposed to be done. Great selection of the edgier stuff (i.e. grind, etc.), but a good selection overall. Competitive prices, no shipping charges in the USA (at least it used to be), professionally run operation.

I much prefer smaller independently run people like Alta Mira and Sentinel Steel. The resaon I switched to Alta mira was I used to get my shit from Amazon but one day they had Alive in Athens 3 cd (this was in 2000) for 45$ and said it was in stock. Well 6 weeks later after about 8 email I sent where they didnt respond I told them to fuck off and got a reccomendation form Tony Webster, he runs the Helloween homepage, about Neil and he hooked me up with the 3 cd Athens for 26 bucks and I had it in my stereo 4 days later.

Ben

Thanks guys, I will post all the sites you have listed, and comments. Whew, quite a list there, but hey, if it helps one person it will be worth it.

Tony Webster is a cool guy. He has helped me get my site going. neil is my "crack dealer" when it comes to Cd's and DVD's! LOL, no one does it better than Neil!!!No ONE, now if he had a retail store that would be drool city!!!!!!!

you think Neil is your crack dealer holy christ. I swear man between you, me and Tony, I wouldnt be surprised to see him driving a new Lexus if I ever make it up to NH. My dream would be to meet him with 2000 bucks and have him let me walk through his warehouse of metal. Oh man.

Ben

Ditto Ben, hey BTW did you see the comment from Tobias Sammett of Edguy on your review of "hellfire Club"? that was pretty cool.

Some of the vendors that I have used and been happy with (many of which you already have listed):

The Laser's Edge:
Ken is probably the premier online vendor for prog and progmetal. Good prices, great selection, and quick shipping.

The End:
Prices include shipping, so they are often the lowest prices on the net. They specialize in black/death but generally have a good selection of progmetal and traditional stuff. Great vendor.

CDUniverse:
I've been using these guys a lot lately - they seem to have a lot of good sales prices and their selection is among the best of the big vendors. They take Paypal, which is nice.

CDConnection:
Nothing special, but occasionally they have the best prices on mainstream stuff, and the service and shipping times are first-rate.

Sentinel Steel:
Denis is a good vendor - has a good selection of power metal and gets some good used inventory. Site updates are a bit spotty.

Big Badd Wolf (www.bigbaddwolf.com):
A really great, underrated vendor with a nice selection of Japanese and Euro imports at good prices. I've found stuff here that I can't find anywhere else, and the service and shipping are solid. Good place to find classic '80s stuff.

Cheap CDs (www.cheap-cds.com):
A good source for mainstream stuff. Prices are exceptional, although they add on extra "handling" fees...but they can still sometimes beat anybody else's prices. And they are quick and reliable.

Hard & Heavy (www.hardnheavy.com):
Top-notch vendor for progmetal and power metal. Prices aren't great, but the tradeoff is that you get great, personal service.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head....

-MG

Well actually, Chris wrote the review because he has a double stamped infinity plus one claim on all Edguy (except for lives) and the two archives I did or Savage Poetry (95) and Kingdom of Madness. I underscored it though and wrote what I thought about it. Yea, I saw Tobi mention it in his section of the site, real cool dude. The wait for them at PP V is hard to control. They said theyre trying to get a US tour done but I hope, HOPE that PP isnt in the middle of it. I dont want them to be like Everygrey and show up Sat at like 6 and then set up, play, and fly out. I want this to be the one year out of all the shows Ive attended, where ALL bands stay the WHOLE weekend!

Ben

Worm Gear Distribution
http://crionicmind.org/wormdistro/news.htm

Run by former MM writer and Worm Gear editor Marty Rytkonen, the distribution sends out a good selection of predominantly underground black and death metal-- competitive prices ($12-ish) and free shipping in North America. I ordered 3 nights ago and the package was in the mail today-- and a handful of free zines, too.