Need your recommendations

JohnDoe04

New Metal Member
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hi. I have most of the SYL cds and think they are all excellent. However, I don't have any of DT's solo efforts, etc. and am looking into purchasing them. Can someone recommend to me what I should start with?

Hard to say... every record's got its share of people who think it's Devy's best.

Personally, I started with "Accelerated Evolution" and found it to be a perfect entry point. Loud but sensitive. Most people would answer "Ocean Machine" right off the bat, but for some reason, in my case I don't think it would've made a great first impression.

If you're into challenging, complex and slightly off-kilter music, start with "Infinity". If you're the laid-back pot-smoking type who doesn't mind relaxing a little with your tunes, I'd recommend "Terria". If you've got a high tolerance for kitsch start with "Ocean Machine". That's about all I can say. The rest is up to you!

Alex78 said:
why not start with some Physicist? if you like SYL, you'll like Physicist, but not neceassarily OM, Terria or Infinity

i seconded starting with physicist first. its his heavier solo, the other are softer. but heck, they're all good.

The albums are very different. I still think that Accelerated Evolution is the best one, it did took some time to grow on me though. Ocean Machine is great too, and both Terria and Infinity are cool pieces, however they also took me some time to get into.

ae is not the best effort, trust me dude.

infinity and physicist are his best solo albums. the former has some of the most complex, beautiful layering i have ever heard in music while the latter just has a magical feel to it. listening to infinity, especially songs like noisy pink bubbles, while blazed, makes me see COLORS. it's the coolest, craziest feeling in the world. listening to physicist all the way through in one sitting is one hell of a ride as well.

of course ocean machine is almost a perfect album, and terria as well...

ae has more of a 'band' feel to it, while the other albums are only devin's creation save the main drum riff for kingdom off physicst which was written by gene.

But, to START with...id actually go for infinity. the songs are completely varied from one another...

ocean machine would be my next recommendation. make sure you get them all though. i bought om, infinity and physicist all at once and listened to nothing else for two years of my life.

the primary thing to remember with these albums is that they take a long (well, sometimes long) time to get into...you need many progressive listens. but when it clicks, it REALLY clicks.

You don't need my imput, but I am bored enough to put this here :p

But hell, go with Terria, it is his best solo IMO, but as been repeated here already everyone is different

Thank you all so much for your input. I figured I would ask people who are much more familiar with DT's solo efforts than myself before I jumped in and starting buying. Now this gives me some direction. Thanks again!!!!