Needs Some Suggestions

Hell Patrol

Nov 20, 2010
Down Under
Hey all! This is my first post on the forum so if I do something wrong please point it out to me. (e.g. thread in the wrong section, etc.)

Anyways, I only just recently made the transition from hard rock to heavy metal, though I've been listening to prog metal for a few years, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out by suggesting a few bands?

So far I like: Megadeth, Armored Saint, Bolt Thrower, Judas Priest, Dream Theater, MANOWAR and Motorhead.

Testament
Overkill
Kreator
Coroner
Iced Earth
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Symphony X
Venom

Thanks heaps!

Symphony X, Helloween and Iron Maiden I've heard before but never really got into. That was until I gave them another listen today, I may just go and buy Powerslave, Paradise Lost and 7 Sinners tomorrow... Or I would if I had the cash. Overkill's pretty sweet too. I may have to give the other bands a few more listens. Not really big on Testament or Venom unfortunately.

Try also:

Dark Angel (USA) (Thrash)
Death Angel (Thrash)
Sodom (Thrash)
Destruction (Thrash)
Anthrax (Thrash)
Slayer (USA) (Thrash)
Sepultura (Death/Thrash)
Necrodeath (Death/Thrash)
Pantera (Post-Thrash from the album "Cowboys From Hell")
Darkthrone (Black)
Bathory (Black/Thrash)
Mayhem (Nor) (first EPs and full-length, Black)
Immortal (Nor) (Black)
Burzum (Black)
Dissection (Swe) (Melodic Death/Black)
Marduk (Swe) (Black)
Satyricon (first 3 albums, Black)
Carpathian Forest (Black)
Taake (Black)
Gorgoroth (Black)
Impaled Nazarene (Black)
Deathspell Omega (Religious Black)
Mercyful Fate (Heavy/Black)
Possessed (Death)
Morbid Angel (Death)
Death (Death)
Dark Tranquillity (Melodic Death)
Deicide (Death)
Darkthrone - Soulside Jorney/Goatlord (Death)
Black Sabbath (Doom)
Candlemass (Doom)
Pain (Swe) (Industrial)

For information about these bands go to www.metal-archives.com

Thanks for the suggestions dude, Sepultura owns. I prefer death metal growls, to black metal vocals but I still appreciate the list. :) Thanks to your suggestions (and a mates) and the powers of Wiki and YouTube in tandem I now like all the following bands.

Anthrax, Armored Saint, Babylon A.D., Black N Blue, Black Sabbath, Bolt Thrower, Deep Purple, Disturbed, Dio, Dream Theater, Edguy, Fates Warning, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Iron Savior, Judas Priest, Lacuna Coil, Led Zepplin, MANOWAR, Megadeth, Metallica, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Overkill, Pantera, Queensryche, Quiet Riot, Rainbow, Ratt, Rhapsody of Fire, Running Wild, Rush, Savatage, Saxon, Sepultura,Skid Row, Soulfly, Symphony X, System of a Down, Twisted Sister, Uriah Heep and White Lion.

Some of those may be hardrock bands though.

If you like old school thrash you will definitely like 3 Inches of Blood and Iced Earth. Also try Into Eternity and Mutiny Within.