Ne Obliviscaris
Overkill
Devin Townsend
Huntress
In Flames
Kreator
Soilwork
Warbringer

So in general I like Thrash, and Progressive Metal. BUT specifically bands that have a concept for their albums, like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Vektor and Barren Earth are some of my favorites from that list.

I Don't like bands that are blatantly satanic or full of gore lyrics.

I do like Progressive bands about Sci-Fi, Fantasy. But not with cheesy lyrics like, no lame power metal or viking metal or some of the bad Ayreon songs.

I do like Thrash songs about fighting, war, political stuff, revolution, etc. These really get my blood going and I love it.

I do also to a lesser extent like Electronica blended with Metal (Industrial?), like KMFDM, White Zombie, recent Korn etc.

So anyone know of any good bands that are similar to my tastes? I would like to see more good songs by any band in the lower two categories too.

Thanks in advance,

-Baroque

You really should check out Voivod if you haven't already. They started off as thrash, then went prog/thrash, then full-out prog, then slightly alternative and back to prog/thrash for their upcoming album.

They're almost entirely centered around sci-fi and have a couple of concept albums.
This would be from their prog/thrash era:

Another sci-fi centered prog/thrash band I'd recommend would be Target, mostly for this album (which is also somewhat of a conceptual album):

Lastly, I recommend Holocaust; started out as NWOBHM before going in a unique prog direction, this too, is from a concept album:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for the recommendations, all 3 were spot on. I hadn't heard of Target or Holocaust before, I'll definitely be listening to more of them. Voivod I had heard a couple songs before but I'm not too big on their vocalist, the music was good though, maybe he'll grow on me. Target was my fav of the bunch.

Hope to see more like these! Or even pure thrash or pure progressive metal is good too, doesn't have to be a blend, but bonus points for that \m/

Two members of Barren Earth were involved in Amorphis, and their debut is pretty much a stylistic follow-up to Elegy (1996). Their material from Eclipse (2006) onwards is also very solid, and as you like concept albums those are worth checking out too.

As for more traditional prog metal, you could try Seventh Wonder

Here's another example of stuff I like, I dunno how you even categorize this? Extreme progressive metal? I like the growly voice, the symphonic/keyboard breaks, the thrash guitar, etc.

[EDIT] Oh awesome more recommendations to listen to already, I'll listen right away.

Yeah man. As a Barren Earth fan I feel an instant connection with Amorphis from those links you posted. I can hear the similarities. I have a feeling I'll be exploring a lot of their stuff. Seventh Wonder sounds like a DT/SX clone, but they're certainly a rather good one. 'My Kantele' was my fav of this post but I liked them all. Thanks Blizk!

For starters, Watchtower is basically the godfather of all things progressive/technical metal and an obligatory mention.

Mekong Delta is a progressive thrash band with both a strong conceptual focus in many of their albums, as well as having classical influences. None of their albums are really the same, but you could lump their 80's material together as their thrashiest, and their 90's as more progressive. If the vocals and production turn you off (it took me a while to get into them because of that), you should hear their newest album, which is maybe 10% thrash but with some incredible instrumental work, which all flows together quite well.

I love it man. Watchtower and Mekong Delta were exactly more of what I was looking for. I love this fast, challenging to listen to metal, it engages me in a way other subgenres of metal just can't. And it helps that they're concept albums so the lyrics make me think or tell a story too. I want to be challenged by my music!

Yeah that Nevermore song is badass. I had listened to some of their stuff years ago but was turned off by their vocalist a bit, but I like that track and I guess I'm more open minded now, he sounds alright. Thanks Effigy.

Any more with growly vocals, or a mix of growls and clean too like, Barren Earth, Adagio or Vektor?

Yeah that Nevermore song is badass. I had listened to some of their stuff years ago but was turned off by their vocalist a bit, but I like that track and I guess I'm more open minded now, he sounds alright. Thanks Effigy.

Any more with growly vocals, or a mix of growls and clean too like, Barren Earth, Adagio or Vektor?

All metal with growls AND clean vocals. Enjoy.

As regards progressive bands with Sci-Fi-related lyrics, I recommend (since Voivod have already been mentioned) Sacred Blade and their album "Of The Sun And Moon":

Other progressive bands (though neither with Sci-Fi- nor fantasy-related lyrics) I'd like to recommend are Atrox and Sieges Even:

Some thrash albums in the vein of what you might like are Détente's "Recognize No Authority", Sacrilege's "Behind The Realms Of Madness", Znowhite's "Act Of God" and Toxik's "Think This":

Of those bands that you've said that you liked some of their songs, just go on youtube and search "Band name full album" (ex: Kreator Full album), and then a bunch of videos of full albums will appear and just listen to them...

Biomechanical's album "Empire of the Worlds" is amazing, IMO.
Halford-esque vocals with the thrash/groove/aggression of Cowboys-era Pantera, albeit more talent.

Have you checked out Dave Sharman? He's got some new stuff coming out. Amazing guitarist imo