Nest - Trail Of The Unwary (2007)

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
With a handful of less than successful attempts at "acoustic metal" populating the shelves in the past year, one might be forgiven for passing up yet another effort in favour of something a little more, well, reliable. That would be a mistake, because Nest's latest not only teaches Borknagar and Drudkh how it's done, but it's also one of the best acoustic metal CDs ever, easily rivalling Kveldssanger or the best of Empyrium.

The ambience emanating from Nest's music is really unlike any other band I've heard. Not sorrowful or oppressive, but fragile and enchanting. It does get dark at times, but the gloom is tempered by the warmth from the kantele (a kind of Finnish harp) and the deep, woody percussion. The music itself is quiet and peaceful, ancient even, but not in a merry elves-and-fairies-dancing-in the-forest kind of way. This is deadly serious and involving music, for the contemplative and meditative listener.

You might think this doesn't sound all that terribly thrilling, but I wouldn't hesitate to call this music exciting, because it's as action-packed as acoustic music can be. Fans of Nest's previous release, Woodsmoke, will note that this CD is much more diverse and unpredictable than its predecessor. The songs are much less straightforward - the melodies subtly fragment and the pieces move in different directions, sometimes recombining to form something entirely different. As a result, it's much easier to get lost in the music.

This time the songs are much less reliant on the kantele. Sometimes the background ambience takes over, sometimes percussion dominates. Keyboards and bass enter and exit when appropriate. Vocals are infrequent and almost inaudible, a deep rumbling echo which never distracts from the music's ambience. Chanting and female vocals also appear and one of the songs even features a menacing distorted guitar tone - something unexpected for Nest. The melodies aren't as catchy or recognisable this time around-but this isn't a complaint, it just means you need to listen a few more times to 'get' it.

Is this metal, you ask? It would be a hard task to argue it is, but it certainly puts me in the same spiritual state of mind. One of the great things about bands like Nest is they remind us forgetful metalheads that music doesn't need to be feature complex guitar patterns or advanced technical skill to have depth - sometimes less is more. As it stands this is the best acoustic metal I've heard for almost a decade. If you like Empyrium or any acoustic ambient at all, I recommend giving it a try.

I haven't heard Nest's previous works so I can't judge this new album accordingly but I do like this one. The sooting tones of the kantele makes me feel at rest and the dark and gloomy mood makes me think about alot of things, which is a good thing actually. I think indeed the instruments fall in properly and the audio might not be so audible but I don't think they have to, it gives a little mystery to the album.

I wouldn't call this album metal, more of a dark ambient kind of music

I know it's still early, but I haven't heard anything as good as TOTU this year. For this style of music maybe in the last 5-8 years. A good review above, but Nest is a band unlike any other. You can't find anything better to relax and contemplate to. Brilliant record. Like I said, for me this is ahead of the pack this year. The other 2 records that are approaching this are Neurosis-Given to the Rising and PT-Fear of a Blank Planet.

My favourite album of the year (at least so far)!
Fans of nest and agalloch should get hold of the agalloch/nest split LP too while it is still available (got mine at grau).
Beautiful art and wonderful eargasms.

An edit; Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" with time has slipped for me. The first 3 songs are excellent, but the last 3 drop off in quality for me. The concept is not very intriguing for me, as I've heard this all before. Still an average PT release is miles ahead of a lot of other music being written today.