Neverworld Reviews

From the Destiny Records catalogue

Power Quest – Neverworld (£12.49)

"Neverworld" the second album from UK's Power Quest is actually due for domestic release early in 2004 through Now & Then, but I could not wait that long, and acquired the Japanese version.

Opener "Neverworld" ( Power Quest Part II)", is classic Helloween but with cinematic drama afforded by Steve Williams' keyboard work, and vocalist Alessio Garavelo demonstrating Kiske-like tones. But there's a difference from what some may see as standard approved power metal, and it's in the attention to detail, thus the nicely observed Brian May style orchestration prior to the highly melodic keyboard and guitar exchange of solos. Such a touch suggests Power Quest have a wider musical palette than the latest set of Teutonic terrors.

"Temple of Fire" which features a guest slot from Threshold's Richard West, is the sort of power-pop-metal Stratovarius were once heralded for, Garavello's vocals skim space, and the excellent Andrea Martongelli's guitar lines weave their magic with the economy and flair of early Schenker.

"Edge of Time" is Van Halen circa "Jump" if the legendary brothers had stayed in Holland and met Michael Kiske as opposed to the path they pursued. So insistent is the melody ,and lilting the vocal line that radio play may beckon.

With Karl Groom's production adding warmth, drama and depth to proceedings, "Sacred Land" is Saracen pomp blending with Helloween attack and a choral arrangement that guides one in the kind of chorus that has one bellowing along with lusty abandon, while "For evermore" is part Scorpions with Van Halen keys underpinning it all and yet another joyous hook.

"Lost without you" is a shimmering epic that hints at Kate Bush, Yes, and with a female vocal from guest Sabine Edelsbacher that leads all and sundry into pompmetal heaven.

"Neverworld" is an album of treasures, and clearly created with such an attention to detail, not least in the evocative artwork, that one can only foresee future glories for Power Quest.

Album number 3 will be an absolute monster. (Andy Paul)

Courtesy of Jason Ritchie at www.getreadytorock.com

POWER QUEST ‘ Neverworld’ FRCD180 Frontiers (Europe)/Now & then (UK)
http://www.nowandthen.co.uk (Released 15th March)
Power Quest’s debut album, ‘Wings of Forever’ was one of the better power
metal albums I’ve heard and it contained the certified classic ‘Far Away’.
Live the band are full on and a delight to watch and so to say I was looking
forward to this release is an understatement! Steve Williams (keyboards),
Steve Scott (bass), Alessio Garavello (vocals) and Andrea Martongelli
(guitar) are joined by drummer Andre Bargmann for ‘Neverworld’ (Gavin Ward
is now onboard for live shows). Threshold’s Karl Groom handles production;
Clive Nolan (Arena/Pendragon) also guests.
This time round the band have fewer manic power metal romps and branch
out into melodic metal territory (and even hints of prog rock on one
track!). Opener ‘Neverworld (Power Quest II)’ starts off the album in fine
style – big chorus, plenty of guitar, driving keys and double time drumming.
Some very tasty keyboard touches on this track as well. ‘Temple of Fire’ is
pure power metal – fast paced, catchy chorus and guitar riffs you can cut
your self on. The mid-section guitar parts are stunning and the bass/drums
nicely underpin the whole song. The only slight drawback is I can’t always
make out Garavello’s vocals, such is the speed of delivery at times. Now for
some prog rock… ‘Lost Without You’ has a long instrumental run in, with keys
and power chords first, before going into gentle guitar (very Marillion to
these ears). The ten minute epic is a duet between Garavello and
Edenbridge’s Sabine Edelsbacher. The guitar and keyboard riffs that kick-in
after three minutes are sublime and crop up again throughout the song.
Sometimes the simplest refrain works best. This is the track of the album
without a doubt.
The above are just personal highlights and there really is no filler in
sight. Crystal clear production and good to keyboards used as a lead
instrument rather than just an add on like many metal acts.
Along with Intense’s ‘Second Sight’ (darker and less keyboard driven), an
essential metal album to own in 2004. Power Quest may never sadly become a
household name in the UK, where power metal has a small, but dedicated
following but Japan and Europe will be happy hunting grounds. Two words -
BUY IT!
Rating *****

POWER QUEST - NEVERWORLD

The UK rockers return with their sophomore album and it proves to be an absolute killer. If this band were Carlsberg they'd probably be the best in the world but they'll have to make do with being the best in Europe for now. Symphonic, well constructed, Power Metal from people who are obviously highly talented. Production (Karl Groom) is nothing short of sensational. For those who reckon that only the Scandinavians can do this sort of thing, we implore you to open your minds and give this album a try. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

More feedback from those great guys at Zroxx!!

Symphony said:
Gyre....if you could do a translation that would be fantastic dude!

Do I even have to mention what kind of music Power Quest play? Probably not, but I'll do it anyway: Up-tempo power metal with bombastic choirs and double bass drums. But this is not your ordinary slab of children's metal, hell no! The band manages to cram a lot of fresh elements into this release, despite the somewhat standardised elements of power metal, which makes this album a lot more interesting than most power metal releases of today. Everything in between AOR-influenced parts and classic hard rock pieces is present, which makes for a very varied package. Power Quest - which is mostly based in the UK (two members of the band being from Italy though, playing in a band called Arthemis) has strong connections to fellow dragonslayers Dragonforce, since the band was founded by two ex-members of that band. Keeping this in mind, it is not hard to understand why the band has a lot in in common - musically - with Dragonforce, although it should be added that Power Quest are far from being mere copycats. Casting a short glance on the song material, it is clear that Power Quest know how to vary themselves, apart from Dragonforce, who more or less suck with their constant super speed songs. The first song "Neverworld (Power quest II)" is a typical power metal tune, with strong melodies and a powerful chorus. "Edge of Time" on the other hand is pretty AOR-oriented and the keyboards are very similar to Van Halen's classic "Jump". "When I'm Gone" is a very pretty ballad, while the finishing "Lost Without You" contains everything from fast to slow and melancholic parts. This song features Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge on guest vocals, and it has to be admitted, she really makes the song shine with her beautiful voice.

I don't know if there is anyting else of interest to tell about the album. A must have for every power metal fan, of course, even though this might be something for every fan of fast melodic metal also. Yes, Power Quest simply rules!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if it's incoherent... I was pretty drunk when I translated this... :loco: