Neverworld Reviews

Found this on my travels - sorry if it's been seen already.

POWER QUEST
NeverWorld
© 2004 Frontiers Records (FR CD 180)
power metal
studio album
9 tracks - TT 59:51
release date: March 15, 2004
http://www.power-quest.co.uk
http://www.frontiers.it
Rated 4/6

What else than home sweet home can a half British, half Italian band be at an Italian label with British connections? Frontiers Records signed Power Quest some months ago and is now releasing their second album. The start of a long and fruitful alliance?
Main man behind PQ is Steve Williams, British keyboardist influenced by fresh power metal acts as Labÿrinth, Sonata Arctica, Edguy and Freedom Call as well as by renowned heavy and progressive metal bands as Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Stratovarius and Dream Theater. Early 2001, the man decided to form the aptly named Power Quest as an outlet for the compositions he had written in the vein of the aforementioned bands. He had left London based power metal band DragonHeart earlier on and soon recruited his ex-colleague and bass player from that band Steve Scott, once part of Shadow Keep as well. Slowly the line up was extended: guitarists Adam Bickers and Sam Totman (DragonForce) were added, through their former label Underground Symphony Italian vocalist Alessio Garavello was recruited and Andrea Martongelli, fellow countryman of Garavello, came in as third (!) guitarist.
Without a drummer in their ranks, Power Quest finished their debut album “Wings Of Forever” and released it late 2002. Shortly after, drummer Andre Bargmann (not to be confused with Sun Caged skinsman André Borgman) finally completed the Power Quest line up. Again shortly after, guitarists Totman and Bickers quit, but the band decided to go on as a five-piece. Fortunately, good news followed, as in April 2003 they signed a multi-album deal with Now And Then Productions/Frontiers Records.
“NeverWorld” is the first result from this new alliance. Mostly in the vein of the Power Quest’s debut, the new disc adds maturity as well as quality to the band’s discography, but doesn’t fail to surprise either. In between up-tempo power metal hymns like “NeverWorld (Power Quest II)”, “Temple Of Fire” and “Into The Light”, you’ll find classic melodic rock anthems that carry the spirit of the eighties. “Edge Of Time”, “For Evermore” and “Lost Without You” all reminded me of Van Halen at that time especially, whereas ballad “When I’m Gone” quite literally breaks the album in two.
All hail to such diversity! An honourable mention for Karl Groom as well. The Threshold guitarist did a very nice job producing “NeverWorld”. On the other hand, lack of originality – I heard absolutely nothing new here – and poor cover artwork cost the album some points. Anyway, Power Quest have delivered a fine piece of work. Whether you’re a power metal fan with sympathy for eighties melodic hard rock or a melodic rocker with an open mind, “NeverWorld” might be up your alley! (SL)

For too long the UK has had a lack of real metal talent. I mean, look at Europe and you have the likes of Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Edguy, Blind Guardian, Nightwish etc. Well, its about time we caught up with them and there is a band who could make that breakthrough. So, here is the highly anticipated follow up to the impressive debut album Wings of Forever. The UKs very own Power Quest has seen changes since then with the addition of Andrea Martongelli on guitars and Andre Bargmann does the drums on this album. Musically there are some notable differences aswell. this is not your typical generic power metal album. There are progressive elements and some classic hard rock influences thrown in here too.

Opening with title track Neverworld it really gets off to flying start with a typical Euro-styled power metal anthem complete with a huge chorus. Temple of Fire carries on in the same way and is probably the catchiest song on the album and it sounds great live too. Edge of Time is where the group make their first deparure from their previous material. Anyone remember Jump by Van Halen? Well, listen to the intro to this track and youll be instantly reminded. Yes, this is a classic hard rock song of epic proportions. Sacred Land is up next and this is another fast and catchy song that will stick in your head for days. Next is the ballad When Im Gone and this is really is a stunning piece building up into a very memorable and moving song. For Evermore is my tip to be a fan favourite when played live. The song is simply full of energy and is definitely among my favourites. Next up is Well of Souls which has a great atmosphere and I like this song more everytime I hear it. On track 8 Into the Light bassist Steve Scott shows he can also write some great music, and its a very nice song too, being instantly appealing and catchy. Its the final track Lost Without You which sees the biggest departure for the band. This ten minute masterpiece has a very progressive feel and also features the talents of Edenbriges stunning vocalist Sabine Edelsbacher duetting with Alessio Garavello to incredible effect. Its a great way to end the album and one can only wonder just how Power Quest are not already a household name. To sum it up, the band have taken an immense step forward. This album really has it all. Keyboardist Steve Williams again shows his incredible talent at writing catchy and powerful metal anthems. Put simply, if you like melodic/symphonic Power Metal then you owe it to yourself to check out this band. Power Quest, together with Dragonforce are going to make a huge impact on the metal scene this year.

http://music.ontheweb.co.uk/ukshop/?q=power+quest

stars-5-0.gif
Power Metal Happyness, May 16, 2004
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Reviewer: mikeowar from Halifax [/size][/font]If ure feeling depressed...give this a spin. will have you smiling and feeling ready to conquer the world in no time. This sounds like Dragonforce mixed with a bit of Van Halen i think. Bloody amazing stuff specialy the last track. Its cheese all the way tho ... but if u like that stuff, cut ya self a slice of Power Quest :D \m/