New Aghora Cd

Now six years after the splendid debut album, it is no surprise to see that the Florida-based band has made some major lineup changes, with Cynic’s ever-busy Sean Malone being replaced by fellow Floridian Alan Goldstein; Malone’s longtime rhythmic companion Sean Reinert has also had his role diminished, as Reinert essentially split the new album’s percussive duties with newcomer Giann Rubio; the vocal position also sees a switch, with guitarist Santiago Dobles’ sister Danishta Rivero stepping down from her position so that the band could perform and tour with new singer Diana Serra.

Thankfully, the lineup changes do not seem to have damaged the band’s core sound, which despite some discouragingly sleek (and arguably trendy) tonal decisions, remains capably in the hands of songwriter Santiago Dobles: songs seem to continue in the debut’s tradition of fusing jazz percussion with rock/metal guitar rhythms and distinctly eastern guitar/vocal melodies to create a cathartic and ultimately soothing spiritual atmosphere.

After listening to two-minute samples from each track on “Formless” (which can be found here), I went ahead and ordered it and the self-titled debut (which has been notoriously hard to track down as a result of it being self-produced and self-released) off the band's website for $20.

I'll post a final verdict once I've had some time to savor the full work in its entirety.

For those that are not familiar with the band and its musical motives, here's a recent interview that was conducted with main songwriter Santiago Dobles:

13/06/2006
Within The Light Of Aghora
By: Alon Miasnikov
Interview With: Santiago Dobles (Guitar), Aghora

Aghora is a name well known to prog fans, a band that combines metal and fusion music seamlessly while using female vocals to add yet another facet to their already complex mixture. With a new album almost done, we sat down with Santiago Dobles, the band's mastermind, to find out more.

Hey Santiago, let's start with current live shows, what shows did the band recently do?

We just played with the Absence last Saturday and on Tuesday we played with Necrophagist, Alarum, Arsis, NeuroAxis, Into the Moat. I think that was the best show so far all those bands went before us and they all laid down some serious jamming and energy, We just came in and put the icing on the cake.

What about a new album? How much of Formless is already done?

Most of it is. The only thing left is Sean Reinert's Drums & Giann's Drums. Guitars and bass and most of the vocals are done. Actually all guitars are done.

How would you describe the band's current material in comparison with the band's debut?

To me its much more mature, and heavier. Its simpler in a lot of ways but its also way more challenging to deliver compared to the last album. I think the new material really sounds they way Aghora has been meant to sound. I am starting to see it as they way it should have always been seen and delivered.

What is the band's current line up and do you see it as a steady one?

Giann Rubio (Drums), Alan Goldstein (Bass), Diana Serra (Vocals), and Myself on guitar. This is the strongest and best line up so far. I am thrilled cause the energy is just right with everyone and the music.

To what extent are the former Cynic people currently involved with the band?

Sean Reinert is playing drums on 6 tracks.

Some history now, how did the whole thing begin?

Its started in 1996 while I was at Berklee. I had always wanted a band that was musical and also somewhat connected to my spiritual/mystic quest. I looked for the best to be involved at that time it was Sean Reinert, Andy Deluca, My sister Danishta , Charlie Ekendahl. We made some demos and that evolved into the debut album which we recorded in 1999 and released it in 2000. Ever since then we have been trying to find the right people to make the band its own entity and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

What is the meaning of the band's name Aghora?

Its from India. Aghora is another name for a wrathful version of SHIVA. It means "Within Light" or "Non Terrifying". In other words the most wrathful aspect of the universe or creator is to be embraced and realized as beauty. there is more but It would be a 1000 page essay.. Go get Robert Svaboda's book "Aghora"

Why did choose to use female vocals instead of male, or growled ones?

Male metal vocals have been done and over done. I wanted change. Also the music called for something to balance all the Primal Yang male energy. I think besides the gathering we sort of pioneered the female Metal prog stuff. Although many bands seem to have claimed it as theirs.

You've been through some serious line up changes, can you explain some of them and why they were caused?

Its tough to be in this band and to do this style of music, there isn't much money involved, and its very demanding. It goes against all the "normal" and predictable bullshit out there that everyone and there mother is playing on the radios, and what is being funded and supported by most labels. I almost laughed when Century Media told me that we sound like we really like and are influenced by Lacuna Coil. I think we have been doing this stuff and the "female metal" way before their stuff came out.. No offense to them at all.

This band has had only the support of the people involved (The actual band mates, friends, and the Fans that have been the Key in keeping this alive!). The members that have left have been either cause they wanted to do stuff that would bring them the almighty dollar, or they needed a change in their life. Danishta left caused she never really saw herself as a performer. Also she wanted to be a teacher to kids. I respect that. Others have either left or quit, or have been fired because it was difficult for them to make the Commitments needed to be involved. To be a band you have to bust your ass, and sweat in your rehearsal space and play your asses of till the music is like blood in your veins. Most didn't want to work that hard or be in the same city to make that happen.

You can't have a "Long distance" Band. You can have a project that way but not a band. I have no bad blood with anyone that left. I know I am a pain in the ass and a total dictator but I mean well. Aghora is you either love it or leave it. It's very much like a marriage. It's about choices to be in a band. You choose to either make it happen or you choose to not be responsible. Unfortunately I have seen many come in and out who didn't want to make it happen. They wanted to make it happen for themselves and not the band.

I am happy though cause I have learned how to manage a band and deal with the drama to keep the ball rolling. I think I have finally ironed out all the kinks in the band and also my own ego so I can deal with having a band and making something successful.

Why did your sister, Danishta, quit as the band's vocalist, and why and how did you recruit Diana as her replacement?

She left because she wanted to teach kids music, and didn't want to perform and do what was needed to take aghora to next level.

What is the message inherited in the band's lyrics?

Self Realization, Self Liberation, awareness, Dissolving the illusions.

How did you start practicing Yoga and getting interested in the Tibetan and taoist philosophies?

I always wanted to be a Monk. I think the old masters of Qi Gong, Tantra, and Dzogchen tested the barriers and limits of human consciousness to evolve to the real realization of the simplicity of the universe. I think Life is working through you and your actions and your breath. Its all connected. And it's all needed. What you do is important and what you don't do is just as important. Every action has a reaction. Music is the same way.

In what ways do you your beliefs and philosophies are connected to the music you create?

Aghora has a lot of Duality becoming singularity. The music is both Hard and Soft. It is very primal and Shaman/earth like yet also very divine and majestic like.

Why such a long time making a second album since your debut came out?

Bullshit, Drama, relying on others to get things done. Also Weeding out band members that needed to stay and those that needed to go. I wish it could have been done sooner but thing take their own course. Also the band is now a "BAND".

That's it, thanks for doing this interview!

Thank you very much for the support and putting up with me!

Well, I got to say Formless is a good album, but no so good as the debut album, specially the bass... the "Aghora" album most be one of the best bassworks of Sean, but the new bassist... I don't like it.

The Girl sings very similar to Danishta, but for me is a less-quality copy of her.

The guitar and drums are brilliant like the first album, but the drums sound too "plastic" (too false, too "perfect" like archenemy drums...) not like the first album with a notable jazz sound. the guitars sounds really good, like before.

Another thing I don't like is the similar rythm patterns in almost all songs. to repeat the same beat in a lot of songs makes the songs be plain and got the feeling of "I had listen this before?.. oh yes, the past song..."

but is a good album.

I agree totally with borknagar, Foremless is not near to what's on Debut album, you can't replace Malone and Reinert.... because of them I started listening to aghora and when i listen to formless it's not interesting anymore...

Well, Reinert plays here, and I think his drum sound is far away from clinical. Kernon did a stellar job. Still, the debut had the better songs, but this souns here smokes.

I finally received the new Aghora release yesterday, and it totally blows; avoid it at all costs, regardless of how much you liked the debut. A more in-depth critique should be forthcoming before I sell it off.

I finally received the new Aghora release yesterday, and it totally blows; avoid it at all costs, regardless of how much you liked the debut. A more in-depth critique should be forthcoming before I sell it off.

maybe it would like more to me if Sean Malone was the bassist... I like a lot more the clinic sound than the hyper-processed and fixed sound... that's all... the album is very good indeed, but the first one... it's a gem man.

The final verdict on Aghora's "Formless," as promised:

"From the coast of gold, across the seven seas
I’m travellin on, far and wide
But now it seems, I’m just a stranger to myself
And all the things I sometimes do, it isn’t me but someone else"

A lot can happen to a musician in six years: the dedicated ones often improve their dexterity (Cynic), while the lazy ones sometimes see their skills slowly depreciate (Metallica); those that keep challenging themselves through their writing usually develop a greater command over structure (Atheist), while others just keep churning out increasingly slicker products from the same old mold with a terribly cheapening result (Death); and as new influences slowly seep into one’s playing style, that style itself tends to shift into exciting—or in some cases, dangerous—territory.

Aghora’s “Formless” is a fairly typical album in this sense, as the music clearly shows that main guitarist Santiago Dobles has been studying up on theory and sharpening his chops quite considerably since the last Aghora record, but unfortunately for him, the loss of legendary bassist Sean Malone and the reduced role of master percussionist Sean Reinert really augment all of Dobles’ flaws as a guitar player/composer, and in light of this, “Formless” provides little of substance besides a shining example of why theoretical knowledge and instrumental prowess (alone) are insufficient; instead, it is the ability to invoke sounds that evoke specific emotions/concepts and then organize those sounds so that they form a coherent thematic statement of import and originality (an ability that this album—even after multiple, close inspections—clearly lacks) which separates the true musical masters from the failures, wannabes, and wankers.

Fresh off the fingers of five sickeningly artificial instrument tones, “Formless’” first strike never fails to smack this reviewer right in the skull the moment the CD starts spinning (and though Neil Kernon has already proven that he needs to stay the fuck away from producing metal albums, Kernon gets let off the hook for this review since “Formless” is primarily produced by Dobles brothers, Santiago and Gustavo). Mercifully, the Dobles’ clean and soloed guitar tones tend to pass by as harmless balls, but unfortunately, this batter’s skull seems unable to escape a beating at the horny hands of the remaining instruments, whose hollowed out tones have as much authenticity and resonance as a corked bat stolen from Sammy Sosa’s batting practice armory.

Furthermore, like an unexpected rain delay, “Formless’” overlong seventy-minute running time truly makes it a challenge to not get up out of one’s seat and storm away in disgust after soaking in the downpour of shit spurred by nu-metal-esque outbursts like “Open Close the Book” (seriously, did someone press a Linkin Park track on the disc by mistake?), or frankly, any time when guitar distortion takes over the album's loudspeaker to announce that the audience is about to be whisked away to the nearest Hot Topic store for an exclusive preview of the upcoming Slipknot album!

Admittedly, these types of over-aggressive, angst-driven guitar riffs were fully noticeable on Aghora’s debut, but in truth, they were not nearly as annoying back then, because the music simply was not as guitar-oriented as it is currently, with the main backing instruments (drums and bass) being relegated to a primarily supportive role. Where before, the Seans (Malone and Reinert) were able to create layers of independent rhythm and harmony, here, the bass and drums are just boring background filler with little aspiration for independence, intrigue, or any semblance of innovation, and a bizarre affinity for the kind of cheap, tinny tone that a pre-teen shopper might expect to get out of a Fisher Price instrument.

The above faults might be acceptable if the album’s leading instruments (guitar and vocals) had enough musical substance of their own to cover up a rhythm section that’s as colorful and contoured as a $10 Wal-Mart rug, but sadly, “Formless’” guitar work is about as interesting as a package of Michaels homemade jewelry, and furthermore, the vocal performance is a far-fucking-cry from what Danishta Rivero treated these ears to on Aghora’s debut, as new vocalist Diana Serra shares the same weak, overproduced, whiny-bitch singing style/tone that one would expect to find on-sale in a Wal-Mart CD rack from whatever the fuck flavor-of-the-month “female metal” band is currently swimming in cash from the sperm-stained wallets and patched-out purses that tend to represent the majority of today’s record-buying youth consumers.

Because this consumer is still coming off the stupendous spiritual highs of the previous Aghora album, "Formless'" biggest disgrace is perhaps the fact that there is only ONE good riff (which starts at 0:44 on “Atmas Heave”) on this entire fucking album, and not only is it is far too reminiscent of something from the ‘90/‘91 Cynic demos, but it even gets played the fuck out by being recycled four or five times through the course of two separate songs (technically, its second appearance in the instrumental “Deadbag” is a minor variation on the first riff, but the two parts are so similar that their affect is almost identical). Only adding to this discouragement is the fact that the rest of “Formless’” guitar work falls neatly into two shapes: first, the “I know how to follow scales and key signatures but couldn’t write an interesting or original riff/solo if someone slapped an industrial-strength cracker around my nuts and screamed, ‘WRITE OR DIE!’” style that tends to fill up albums by Dream Theater, Symphony X, and their many clones; second, the type of choppy, mosh-happy mallcore riffs that could no doubt convert the typical mallgoth/scene kid into a full-fledged Aghora fan if given a little airplay on MTV2’s Headbangers’ Ball or a touring spot alongside metal stalwarts like Lacuna Coil, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, et al.

If there is any consolation to be found in this shameless, fecalpheliac production, it is that “Formless” does seem to show that Aghora—at least, in its current incarnation—are mostly just honest failures (though Santiago Dobles does tend to weave through Wankerville whenever he’s speeding along in one of his sparkly guitar solos). But realistically, in music—as in life—all that really matters is the presence of merit, however abundant/lacking it may be, and in that regard, “Formless” is virtually devoid of any substance that might satisfy the thirsts of the demanding listener (aside from its attractive artwork and packaging); that the band members clearly put a colossal effort into all aspects of this release only convinces this customer to avoid purchasing the next Aghora disc, even if its conception takes another six years.

If anyone wants my copy, it's going on Amazon tomorrow. ;)

I feel a lot of hot air breezing through this review. The introductory quote shows where you are coming from. Even though I think the debut was better, I totally disagree with your point. Apart from Dobles having developed a clearly recognizable own style, Neil Kernon did a good job - and it is ridiculous to state that he should not produce metal - do you actually know what great albums he has produced on that field? I wonder what you'd have said about an Andy-Sneap production....THAT would justify such criticism, I guess.

ANyway - opinions are like assholes.

What the hell are you talking about, NK should stay away from producing metal records? Annihilation of the Wicked and The Wretched Spawn are two of the best produced albums I've heard in metal, period.

Maybe that guy wanted Scott Burns in the Production...:err:

Well, I recommend anyway the album, but is necessary to have the first one, it's the best.

I guess I'm one of the few who really likes this disc...

I haven't listened to the first one in a while due to the painful singing but I'll check it out again...