New album Foregone out February 2023

Goddamn, Anders was not having that Filtered Truth comment. :D :D This guy likes EG and Paralyzed, two very generic songs, but has no reaction when one of their more interesting song is being mentioned, which is pretty damn funky as well.

Reactions: galvanized
For what it's worth I don't really like Filtered Truth either, so I'm with him on that one :D

Very interesting comments, makes a lot of sense in retrospect when you go back to interviews from the time and see how... Tense they were.

Also confirms that Jesper alone wasn't the sole problem in the band. Clearly there were issues that went beyond just him, as this was only 3 years or so after he'd left. I remember a comment from Bjorn in an interview where he said he and Peter only found out about Anders changing an SC song when they listened to an updated demo in his car.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
That ranking website says Filtered Truth is in my Top 30 In Flames songs. Seems right to me. I'm a big fan of it. Anders' reaction makes no difference to me because I remember on the old Jesterhead site he shat pretty hard on Free Fall, and apparently that's my 5th favorite IF song. :D

Cool to hear Anders' thoughts on Siren Charms. A lot of what he says makes sense and confirms some of what I thought about the album. I think the reason I like that album so much is because that tension between the music and the vocals works for me, but I completely understand that I'm in the minority there.

Reactions: Jester Slave
The interview seems promising judging by the snippets, thanks in advance mate! :)

I remember a comment from Bjorn in an interview where he said he and Peter only found out about Anders changing an SC song when they listened to an updated demo in his car.

Was is possibly about WTWE? He had brought in Emilia Feldt without Björn and Peter knowing?
(I may remember it all wrong, though.)

The interview seems promising judging by the snippets, thanks in advance mate! :)

Was is possibly about WTWE? He had brought in Emilia Feldt without Björn and Peter knowing?
(I may remember it all wrong, though.)

I honestly can't recall specifics... I'm not sure if it was anything that drastic, but you could tell from the comment that Bjorn was a bit irritated by it at the time.

Okay, I really don't remember properly either. Only that they were listening to the demo in a car and were surprised at something.

But what I know for sure both Niclas and Björn said some songs had completely different feeling to them in the demo phase before any vocals were recorded. And that the rest of them only heard Anders' vocal parts towards the end of the studio sessions. Björn wasn't entirely sold on some of them at first, but eventually agreed that "the songs sound better that way." Perhaps genuinely so, but on the other hand the guy's practically an epitome of diplomacy in interviews anyway.

Last edited:
The only particulars I remember reading about are:

- Anders' vocal direction on In Plain View and Everything's Gone came as a surprise to Bjorn, who had envisioned the songs as being much heavier.
- Through Oblivion was an instrumental interlude-type track until Anders fleshed it out into a full song.
- The title track took the longest to compose and underwent many revisions.

Interviews certainly did suggest some friction around the SC period, but I didn't think it was as divided as Anders suggests in that clip. Sounds like it was very similar to the CC sessions, where they were also deeply divided. Although in that instance they pulled off a great album, whereas this time not so much.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
Maybe it's my bias but I still think it contains all the right pieces to be a great album, just assembled in the wrong order - both in terms of songwriting and tracklist.

It might also explain why the 2 bonus tracks are the 2 most straight forward "Modern In Flames" tracks as perhaps they were the ones that stayed closest to the demos and one or more members felt that they didn't belong on the standard release. A shame as I think that a revised tracklist could have made Siren Charms very good.

1. In Plain View
2. Become The Sky
3. Monsters In The Ballroom
5. Everything's Gone
6. Rusted Nail
7. Paralyzed
8. With Eyes Wide Open
9. Filtered Truth
10. The Chase

Deluxe bonus tracks Dead Eyes and Through oblivion (I do like both and love the instrumental of Dead Eyes still though, just can't get them to sit anywhere and not be out of place - there's an argument to put through oblivion over paralyzed mind you). That tracklist would have a completely different vibe to the album as it is, and subjective quality notwithstanding, it would have been a more logical follow-up to SOAPF. Much "heavier" record than what we got.

Last edited:
I said it before and I’ll say it again
1. With Eyes Wide Open
2. Filtered Truth

I’ve been listening to these two daily for the last 2 or so weeks. These songs rule. Is it like classic IF? No. But taken by themselves, they are super solid and they have a good vibe that I can listen to pretty much anytime.

Seems like everyone can agree a few SC songs are enough to get the idea. I think we all have different favorites but in small doses SC ain’t bad.

Goddamn, Anders was not having that Filtered Truth comment. :D :D This guy likes EG and Paralyzed, two very generic songs, but has no reaction when one of their more interesting song is being mentioned, which is pretty damn funky as well.
For real, makes me sad :(

The Chase is the one for me, the riffs are great, the chorus is great, and i absolutely love the outro. WEWO and Become The Sky are also brilliant imo. Paralyzed is fun to, I enjoy the synths I the verses.

Last edited:
Dead Eyes & Paralyzed are my second favorite pair. “Throw it all away, until we are erased, and it doesn’t mean a thing” Solid lyrics. And that jam solo in Paralyzed, like that too.

#3 Siren Charms, Through Oblivion, In Plain View

Songs I don’t like:
Everything’s Gone. Rusted Nail, When the World Explodes

everything else is pretty digestible.

For real, makes me sad :(

For what it's worth, I didn't take his response as dismissive. More like there just wasn't a whole lot for him to say (especially if he forgot how the song went, lol). It's very rare you'll hear artists shit on their own song, much less In Flames, who go out of their way to not put down any of their own material.

As far as SC goes, I ended up listening to the whole thing again today, and for me the run from Paralyzed through When the World Explodes is the best part of the album. The album closes out well, too, but unfortunately Rusted Nail to me is a bit out of place.

Okay hear me out... I just read the lyrics to paralyzed as I listened to it, and I'm convinced that Anders wrote the song about how he felt about the band at the time - paralyzed with fear that they're stuck going down a road they can't turn back from - change, backlash, change, backlash but that the band has to just keep going.

"Vultures descend, feeding on us" - this forum
"It's like we're on our own to figure out, cast out" - they've got to decide themselves where they go musically as the fans have turned their backs time and time again
"Rewind, there's no time" - they can't just return to "the good old days"
"We're only taking turns passing around the world, it's how it's always been" - they're still just doing what they've always done, tour and play for the fans
"Out of excuses, will we understand that we're on our own" - we can't keep having to justify doing what we do, we just have to accept that we will make the critics and fans happy
"This time we have found the wasteland" - a commentary of the recording process of the album itself, how it took a turn for the worse both in terms of band relationships and musical cohesion.

I said it before and I’ll say it again
1. With Eyes Wide Open
2. Filtered Truth

I’ve been listening to these two daily for the last 2 or so weeks. These songs rule. Is it like classic IF? No. But taken by themselves, they are super solid and they have a good vibe that I can listen to pretty much anytime.

Seems like everyone can agree a few SC songs are enough to get the idea. I think we all have different favorites but in small doses SC ain’t bad.

100% love that 2 songs, specially Filtered Truth