New album Foregone out February 2023

What's stupid is that they keep talking about not wanting a rivalry between the bands, but every time they're asked about it in interviews they just fan the flames unnecessarily. All they have to say is "yeah man, their stuff sounds good" and everyone is just like "cool, no issues". Instead they have to keep pretending they've never listened to them, treating us all like we're idiots :D

What they're doing is making it look as if there's a real problem with all of the former members of the band.

I find it difficult to not care about what your friends are doing unless they're not your friends anymore. Even if you only want to play your old records (that's what Bjorn says in that interview) there's no way that he will not feel a bit of curiosity. The only way, maybe it's different in Sweden, to refuse to listen to it is to have some kind of grudge.

What I mean is, if they had not listened to the album, that was on purpose.

The Halo Effect's attorney of all people being interviewed in the documentary tells me there might be something going on behind the scenes we're just not aware of. Seriously, it struck me as very weird that he was there at all.

I do think the media is interested in pushing the narrative that there's a rivalry between the two bands, and I think Anders and Bjorn are acutely aware of that. Their responses are just having the opposite effect of their intent, which is to defuse the issue.

I mean, Jesper did what he did during the SOAPF - SC eras, he said some shitty things online so that was an asshole move, sure. We discussed many many times here about the Jesper - IF situation, no matter what we've said none of us knows exactly what happened between them. If you don't like someone, you're not obligated to be classy to them.

But also saying that "I'm not listening to new bands" is kinda.. unnecessary. Just say no and move on to next question.

Yeah, it’s a weird thing to say. Especially putting it in a box like that. You don’t listen to anything new that is trying to help push metal as a whole into the future? I mean, I guess if you’re a musician, that’s your job, you may not want to spend time listening to music. I could understand that part of it. But he implies that he still listens to old bands. It’s just kind of a weird stance to take.

The most open and talkative I've seen Anders in an interview in a long time! It's a great interview.

I do think the media is interested in pushing the narrative that there's a rivalry between the two bands

Where?

and I think Anders and Bjorn are acutely aware of that. Their responses are just having the opposite effect of their intent, which is to defuse the issue.

So far, their intent seems to be to ignore the issue. It's like they don't even know their former band members.

And it's funny because, thinking about it, they have treated better Joe Rickard, a guy that was in the band for a couple of years, than are treating people with whom they grew up together. Fuck it, Bjorn had a business with Peter. All of this seems just stupid.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that there is animosity between several current and former members of the band. We may never know the extent of that animosity but it's clearly there looking from the outside in. People who have known each other as long as these guys have don't behave this way when their supposed friends form a new band and release music. I'm not trying to stir it up, but people who are friends just don't do that.

There was weird tension surrounding Niclas and IF. Obviously the Jesper stuff happened. There's problems there. It's a shame too because can you imagine an In Flames/THE tour? Seeing old line-ups together and stuff like that would be amazing.

Today I learned that all the vocals on The Jester Race were recorded in a single day. That's a hell of an effort.

I haven't watched the interview yet but I remember Nordström saying the TJR recordings were quite a bit of work for several reasons. First they had to redo all the guitar and bass parts because they weren't interknitted well. Then they did all the vocal parts again because Anders learnt/discovered a better growling technique when he was doing the vocals for the very last song and they decided to re-record all the songs with that new technique. Then finally Nordström's five-year old son had played with the studio equipment and managed to erase or ruin some stuff.

So far, it seems that the animosity is only coming from one side.

You can't just say that after we saw what we saw through the years. And obviously we don't really know what happened behind the scenes, we may never know too. Besides neither Anders or Björn said something like "they're shit" etc. They just said we didn't listened to them. I thought it was weird for Björn to say "I don't listen to new bands" but just watched an interview with Tanner and he said "Björn doesn't listen new bands at all". So it might not be a "shot" to anyone.

All they have to say is "yeah man, their stuff sounds good" and everyone is just like "cool, no issues". Instead they have to keep pretending they've never listened to them, treating us all like we're idiots :D

But he doesn't have an obligation to say that? It looks like they're not friends with each other, maybe some things that we've may never know happened behind the scenes so they maybe hate each other? It just weird for me that you're expect them to say nice things about each other.

I think the issue is that THE guys are still complimentary of In Flames. Mikael was very upbeat about it in an interview I watched with him, saying something like "yeah, those guys are my friends, they're doing great things." Jesper still goes out of his way to basically give them free advertising. It's a little strange that it isn't reciprocated. Yes, they're not obligated to do it. But it certainly says a lot about which side the hard feelings are coming from.

Reactions: eochaid
But he doesn't have an obligation to say that? It looks like they're not friends with each other, maybe some things that we've may never know happened behind the scenes so they maybe hate each other? It just weird for me that you're expect them to say nice things about each other.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? THEY'VE SAID THEY DON'T WANT RIVALRY/ISSUES SO WHY WOULDN'T THEY SAY NICE THINGS WHEN ASKED? Even if they don't mean it, it doesn't matter because it achieves the end goal of people moving on with zero repercussions. How does that not make sense to you? Yes Anders and Bjorn aren't forced to be nice, but if they choose not to be then they should expect that these rumours will continue!

I think the issue is that THE guys are still complimentary of In Flames. Mikael was very upbeat about it in an interview I watched with him, saying something like "yeah, those guys are my friends, they're doing great things." Jesper still goes out of his way to basically give them free advertising. It's a little strange that it isn't reciprocated.
Maybe this is what bothers Anders and Bjorn. That THE acts as if everything is cool and nice when in reality it isnt. Who knows.

Reactions: ciko_gfb
Jesper still goes out of his way to basically give them free advertising. It's a little strange that it isn't reciprocated. Yes, they're not obligated to do it. But it certainly says a lot about which side the hard feelings are coming from.

When you look at the things that way, they didn't give any response to things like "IF is a sinking ship" or "They should change name" or "Their album sucks ass". Maybe, just maybe they might moved on from the situation and since it looks like they're not friends anymore, they don't want to talk about them or give any logical response at all.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? THEY'VE SAID THEY DON'T WANT RIVALRY/ISSUES SO WHY WOULDN'T THEY SAY NICE THINGS WHEN ASKED? Even if they don't mean it, it doesn't matter because it achieves the end goal of people moving on with zero repercussions. How does that not make sense to you? Yes Anders and Bjorn aren't forced to be nice, but if they choose not to be then they should expect that these rumours will continue!

I'm not being obtuse, you just want everyone to worship Jesper for some reason. They don't want any rivalry and Anders made it very clear with the only time when he talked about THE. Just look at the situation with some empathy not with the names.

Also they didn't say anything rude anytime at all (about Jesper or someone else). And clearly they still don't want to talk about it (good or bad) so its a bigot thing to say "IF THEY DONT SAY ANYTHING GOOD THERE'S A RIVALRY GOING ON". No, it looks like they don't care and moved on. Anders said it very well, they can do whatever they want and we're doing whatever we want.

I just want to say that THE are not in position to say bad things about In Flames and that is because, like it or not, In Flames are a much bigger band and any bad word towards them would harm THE image. Saying positive things about the famous band that you came from, surely helps with your popularity. All this talk about the two bands is beneficial only for THE.
On the contrary, In Flames are in position to absolutely not give a fuck. Not that this is the right thing to do, but that is a different story.

When you look at the things that way, they didn't give any response to things like "IF is a sinking ship" or "They should change name" or "Their album sucks ass". Maybe, just maybe they might moved on from the situation and since it looks like they're not friends anymore, they don't want to talk about them or give any logical response at all.

I'm not being obtuse, you just want everyone to worship Jesper for some reason. They don't want any rivalry and Anders made it very clear with the only time when he talked about THE. Just look at the situation with some empathy not with the names.

Also they didn't say anything rude anytime at all (about Jesper or someone else). And clearly they still don't want to talk about it (good or bad) so its a bigot thing to say "IF THEY DONT SAY ANYTHING GOOD THERE'S A RIVALRY GOING ON". No, it looks like they don't care and moved on. Anders said it very well, they can do whatever they want and we're doing whatever we want.

I know English isn't your first language, but come on dude. There's no way you're doing anything other than trolling by interpreting what I said in that way.

I know English isn't your first language, but come on dude. There's no way you're doing anything other than trolling by interpreting what I said in that way.

I’m not surprised you dont understand cause for some reason you hate Anders and saying that everything he says or done are wrong but when Jesper’s talking shit you guys go OMG HE’S SO RIGHT. Thats why you are having hard time to understand me :D

Haha, fanboys up in arms.

Well if Im a fanboy that makes you hater in this situation :D

Alright, no point continuing this any further.

I just want to say that THE are not in position to say bad things about In Flames and that is because, like it or not, In Flames are a much bigger band and any bad word towards them would harm THE image. Saying positive things about the famous band that you came from, surely helps with your popularity. All this talk about the two bands is beneficial only for THE.
On the contrary, In Flames are in position to absolutely not give a fuck. Not that this is the right thing to do, but that is a different story.

Can't say I agree. IF have been a running joke in the metal community for many years now. If THE guys were this cynical they'd be doing exactly what Anders and Bjorn are doing and ignoring IF existence. Their audience is typically going to be people who gravitated away from IF and actually like MDM. I don't see how praising IF helps them much. More likely they just see Anders and Bjorn as friends and are trying to support them.

You can't just say that after we saw what we saw through the years.
Jesper talked twice about IF. Twice! And Peter, Daniel and Niklas never said anything that wasn't positive.

So, allow me to be a bit skeptical about this whole issue.